Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.9 Gets Btrfs RAID 5/6, Fsync Performance

Phoronix: Linux 3.9 Gets Btrfs RAID 5/6, Fsync Performance

In addition to the already exciting features of the Linux 3.9 kernel, this next release will also bring several new features to the Btrfs file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linux 3.9 Gets Btrfs RAID 5/6, Fsync Performance

In addition to the already exciting features of the Linux 3.9 kernel, this next release will also bring several new features to the Btrfs file-system...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNjU
    with each new kernel release I really hope that btrfs gets mature enough that I can use it on root and my portage-partition

so that it survives a hardlock or (accidental) power outage without data corruption or loss of access to the contained data

lots of important improvements - I'm curious when the next data loss or corruption messages occur on the mailing list (hopefully less and less or not anymore)

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
      with each new kernel release I really hope that btrfs gets mature enough that I can use it on root and my portage-partition

so that it survives a hardlock or (accidental) power outage without data corruption or loss of access to the contained data

lots of important improvements - I'm curious when the next data loss or corruption messages occur on the mailing list (hopefully less and less or not anymore)
      Well, it's mature enough already for normal usage. As long as you don't do anything exotic, it should work fine.

Oh, and I submitted an ebuild of Snapper to Gentoo (Sunrise). It's an excellent addition to btrfs. Hooking it up with emerge (I have a separate script for it, called it "bmerge", that makes a snapshot and then executes emerge) makes it handle everything automatically in a transparent fashion. Instant rollback capabilities!

Comment

Somehow I get the feeling btrfs is going to become the emacs of file-systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
          Somehow I get the feeling btrfs is going to become the emacs of file-systems.
          Meaning what, Ragas...? BTRFS is supposed to have all these capabilities, it was part of the design spec.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Assuming that everything works right... you shouldn't lose anything. You should always have the new copy of the data, or the old copy, should never totally fail. I've got it on my arch linux home server as both root and home, have for months, and no problems thus far.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Assuming that everything works right... you shouldn't lose anything. You should always have the new copy of the data, or the old copy, should never totally fail. I've got it on my arch linux home server as both root and home, have for months, and no problems thus far.
              the point is - I tried until a few versions ago and after several weeks it suddenly stopped working (the portage partition)

I use it on a backup partition where it seems to still work but that it almost like a clockwork reliably fails sooner or later makes me feel uneasy

all of these partitions are on top of cryptsetup/luks btw

oh - I didn't ask for this but:

yeah, these error messages look familiar

Comment

all of these partitions are on top of cryptsetup/luks btw
                Yea, that could be put into the "exotic setup" category.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Assuming that everything works right...
                  if you assume such things you do not need any of the "improved" features of brtfs.

Comment

Working...
                  X