Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Now Easier Getting Packages In Ubuntu Main

Phoronix: It's Now Easier Getting Packages In Ubuntu Main

While it's not too difficult to get your own package within Ubuntu's universe repository, it's more difficult to get a Debian package promoted to be within Ubuntu main, or the main repository that is officially supported by Canonical. However, the Ubuntu development community has decided to make that process a bit easier by eliminating some of the hurdles imposed when a package is initially rejected from being pushed into the main repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"While it's not too difficult to get your own package within Ubuntu's universe repository"

mm... I don't agree. Getting any qt app (outside of kde) inside ubuntu is a big mess. A gtk app gets in by itself after 2 days. A mono app gets into ubuntu even faster.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      "While it's not too difficult to get your own package within Ubuntu's universe repository"

mm... I don't agree. Getting any qt app (outside of kde) inside ubuntu is a big mess. A gtk app gets in by itself after 2 days. A mono app gets into ubuntu even faster.
      Wrong on many levels. It to me a few month for a GTK applications, and virtually without having to change anything from the first proposal. Debian took even longer for the same apps, because finding a sponsor is even harder, and there was many back and forth because of mistakes from the DD and the ftp admin(s).

Getting a CLI app in Ubuntu tooks about as long, and didn't work with Debian. Finding a sponsor in Debian is hard, usually somebody replies trying to shoot down the proposal saying he'll upload it but.... (insert any problem that any quick glance over the application would have shown invalid), then when you reply to the points, you find the DD has disappeared, and nobody else interested. Happens all the time on debian-mentors, while some get uploaded even though there's obvious problems with the packaging.

Comment

Here we go...

I thought that too many of Ubuntu's packages were exceedingly dodgy before, but now it will be even easier for bad packagers to do bad packaging! Oh the joy.

Thanks for wasting the time of the volunteers that provide support in upstream projects Ubuntu. Maybe upstream projects will need to change their IRC topic to read: "We do not support Ubuntu in this channel. Go to #ubuntu for Ubuntu help."

Comment

Originally posted by DDevine View Post
          I thought that too many of Ubuntu's packages were exceedingly dodgy before, but now it will be even easier for bad packagers to do bad packaging! Oh the joy.

Thanks for wasting the time of the volunteers that provide support in upstream projects Ubuntu. Maybe upstream projects will need to change their IRC topic to read: "We do not support Ubuntu in this channel. Go to #ubuntu for Ubuntu help."
          The glass is half empty here. But you forget it is also half full: It could also lead to faster updates for dodgy packages.

Comment

@miles

That's sad but true, somebody will lose soon interest when it is too hard to get packages in Debian. I do not even try that, I just put everything I need in my repository, much less trouble.

Comment

Can't say it looks difficult getting a Qt app in Ubuntu. One of my own apps got in, and I wasn't even the one who submitted it (I don't even know how to package something for Ubuntu/Debian). It got in pretty fast when someone submitted it.

Comment

Working...
              X