Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed Textures, Tiling Merged For RadeonSI

Phoronix: Compressed Textures, Tiling Merged For RadeonSI

The RadeonSI Linux driver that supports the Radeon HD 7000 series and future HD 8000 series of graphics cards can now handle compressed textures and 2D tiling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was wondering if "compressed textures" is s3tc when I saw that commit message.

The article doesn't even say!

The code looks like it is s3tc.

A bit late, but better late then never.

Many games do not work without s3tc, unfortunately.

Comment

glxinfo shows GL_ARB_texture_compression but not GL_S3_s3tc nor GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc.

Probably because
      Code:
      bool enable_s3tc = rscreen->info.drm_minor >= 31;
      (Not sure how I can see my driver's version.)

Comment

Will RadeonSI support ASTC (in hardware) ?

Comment

Hm, I changed it to
          Code:
          bool enable_s3tc = true;
          and at least in xonotic it seems to work fine.

Comment

And because Michael wants people to double post:
            * Half Life 1 works completely
            * Trine 2 works!
            * Half Life 2 doesn't display the main screen,
            Code:
            Warning: SI unhandled output type:14
            * Dungeon Defenders display the 3d stuff in the main menu, has some rendering errors when clicking through starting the game but the game itself doesn't actually work:
            Code:
            DungeonDefenders-x86: AMDGPUInstrInfo.cpp:130: virtual void llvm::AMDGPUInstrInfo::storeRegToStackSlot(llvm::MachineBasicBlock&, llvm::MachineBasicBlock::iterator, unsigned int, bool, int, const llvm::TargetRegisterClass*, const llvm::TargetRegisterInfo*) const: Assertion `!"Not Implemented"' failed
            * Serious Sam seems to be farther away
            Code:
            warning: failed to translate tgsi opcode DDX to LLVM
            Failed to translate shader from TGSI to LLVM
            EE si_state.c:1938 si_shader_select - Failed to build shader variant (type=1) -22
            Warning: SI unhandled output type:14
            Sam3: AMDGPUInstrInfo.cpp:130: virtual void llvm::AMDGPUInstrInfo::storeRegToStackSlot(llvm::MachineBasicBlock&, llvm::MachineBasicBlock::iterator, unsigned int, bool, int, const llvm::TargetRegisterClass*, const llvm::TargetRegisterInfo*) const: Assertion `!"Not Implemented"' failed.

Comment

In other words, it's only capable of running an OpenGL-accelerated desktop compositor and watching videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                In other words, it's only capable of running an OpenGL-accelerated desktop compositor and watching videos.
                It's more correct to say that it ran every native Linux app they tried, but will need a couple of more tweaks before runs non-native games through an emulator.

Comment

Well, all of the few games I listed were native with steam. But they may be ports that work more or less well anyway.

All the open source games I try seem to work well. I try them with intel/hd7970m hybrid, so it might have additional bugs. For example when exiting a fullscreen game that has changed my resolution when starting X seems to hang. On a related note: If you think when starting your game for the first time it is appropriate to change my resolution to 800x600, fuck you. If you can't be bothered to read the desktop resolution and make fullscreen not disable my multimonitor configuration, the right thing to do is to make it windowed by default.

Some games that work well: unvanquished, sauerbraten, trigger rally, supertuxkart, minecraft (but low fps (~25) and weird screen updating/tearing), megaglest, 0ad.
                  Basically all I tried.

Red Eclipse works ok without shaders. With shaders it looks... interesting.

Half Life 2 in wine has a similar assertion error like the native version. Trackmania 2's shader in wine don't seem to work, only a black screen. When starting Knights of the Old Republic in wine, X crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    Well, all of the few games I listed were native with steam. But they may be ports that work more or less well anyway.
                    My bad then!

Comment

Working...
                    X