Valve's Gabe Newell Makes New Linux Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    PC gaming on desktops will always be much more powerful as on mobile systems.
    PC desktop hardware is extremely weak, low end stuff next to supercomputer technology.

Gaming doesn't want the ultimate best hardware. They want a trade off between power and accessibility.

PC gamers overwhelmingly prefer laptops over desktops for convenience and simplicity despite the better CPU/GPU power of desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
      Laptop gamers are people who are in a confused state -- they can't decide if they want a laptop or a gaming desktop so they waste an insane amount of money getting a gaming laptop only to use it like a gaming desktop.
      Lots of people put their career family goals first, make their big decisions in life based on those and then squeeze in some gaming leisure on whatever computing hardware is conveniently available. Most PC gamers don't buy "gaming laptops", they get a laptop for work or school purposes and are comfortable with the gaming that provides and don't feel the need to buy different hardware.

The best of both worlds is to buy a cheap energy-efficient laptop and then build yourself a gaming desktop -- save a lot of money.
      I feel a different combination of devices fits my lifestyle better and that's fine, we all have our choices.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
        PC gamers overwhelmingly prefer laptops over desktops for convenience and simplicity despite the better CPU/GPU power of desktops.
        I see that claim, but I see no numbers backing that up. Would you share your sources, please?

Comment

Lots of people put their career family goals first, make their big decisions in life based on those and then squeeze in some gaming leisure on whatever computing hardware is conveniently available. Most PC gamers don't buy "gaming laptops", they get a laptop for work or school purposes and are comfortable with the gaming that provides and don't feel the need to buy different hardware.
          In other words, nobody ever buys consoles. Right.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            In other words, nobody ever buys consoles. Right.
            I buy dedicated gaming hardware like game consoles. I used to buy/build Windows PCs primarily for gaming. The mass PC market does not. Most people don't take gaming as seriously as I used to.

Game developers target large groups of buyers like console audiences or PC laptop audiences or tablet/smartphone audiences. The desktop gaming PC audience is too small and just gets "ports" of games made for those other groups. Even PC exclusive games like the ones Blizzard makes are designed for laptop players and "ported" with extra options for the desktop gamer crowd.

Comment

Even PC exclusive games like the ones Blizzard makes are designed for laptop players and "ported" with extra options for the desktop gamer crowd.
              And I am sure you also have sources for that claim which you just forgot to provide. May I ask you a question? If all your claims are true, why isn't the Steambox a mobile device?

Comment

I buy dedicated gaming hardware like game consoles. I used to buy/build Windows PCs primarily for gaming. The mass PC market does not. Most people don't take gaming as seriously as I used to.
                Most people don't play games at all. A lot of people play Solitaire and Minesweeper. Or Farmville. But that's all irrelevant, because that's not what you count when determining the viability of the PC as a gaming platform.

Comment

Game developers target large groups of buyers like console audiences or PC laptop audiences or tablet/smartphone audiences. The desktop gaming PC audience is too small and just gets "ports" of games made for those other groups. Even PC exclusive games like the ones Blizzard makes are designed for laptop players and "ported" with extra options for the desktop gamer crowd.
                  Game developers target who they want to target. There is no rule that all game developers must abide by what you stated. For example, I bet you don't have 99% of AAA or indie titles on your smartphone/tablet. Valve certainly doesn't target mobile devices or laptops, Creative Assembly doesn't target them, EA's developers don't target them, Ubisoft's don't target them, I'm hard pressed to find any game developers that care about laptops or mobile devices besides a few indies. Furthermore, you must be living under a rock if you think the PC gaming audience is too small (it's larger than PS One and Xbox Live networks -- 75 million+) and that the only things PC gets are ports (the heck is a laptop port? A laptop is just a portable desktop which is awkward to game on. There's no difference between gaming on a laptop and a desktop other than crappy framerates and bad ergonomics which requires that you buy a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to use your laptop like.... a desktop...).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Most people don't play games at all. A lot of people play Solitaire and Minesweeper. Or Farmville. But that's all irrelevant, because that's not what you count when determining the viability of the PC as a gaming platform.
                    You don't count the most popular PC games "when determining the viability of the PC as a gaming platform."??? What kind of logic is that? That's like evaluating the viability of the Xbox 360 without Halo, Gears, and all the multiplatform games!

Game developers target who they want to target. There is no rule that all game developers must abide by what you stated.
                    Any developer who wants to make exclusive games for supercomputers that are far more powerful than consumer PCs, can do so. There's no rule stopping them. But as a general trend they do not.

Developers _can_ make games targeting higher end desktops + gaming GPUs that won't run on laptops with integrated graphics, but they don't. All of the major PC games from all of the publishers that you named are designed to be playable on a laptop with integrated graphics (or at least a game console). They will give you extra options on higher end gaming hardware. But I don't see Valve/EA/Ubisoft/etc making games designed with the latest and greatest PC gaming hardware as a baseline.

Valve certainly doesn't target mobile devices or laptops,
                    Glancing at the public Steam hardware usage stats, their users are overwhelmingly on laptops. Desktops are a minority.

And "Valve certainly doesn't target mobile devices"?!? What is this:

Furthermore, you must be living under a rock if you think the PC gaming audience is too small
                    I don't think that, nor did I imply that. There are tons of people playing Solitaire and web games and Facebook games on PCs!!

[what] the heck is a laptop port?
                    I am well aware that laptops/desktops run the same apps and use the same binaries. By a laptop "port", I'm referring to games designed with typical laptop integrated graphics as a playable baseline hardware requirement rather than designing exclusively for higher end dedicated gaming rig setups.

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    If all your claims are true, why isn't the Steambox a mobile device?
                    The people who made that have a different utopian vision of gaming.

I believe most consumer users want an OS more like Android/iOS than the traditional workstations OSs Win/Mac/(desktop)Linux. Even many serious workstation users want their workstation for serious work, but want a tablet for more casual use and play. Android/iOS will become more PC-like, many "PC users" will migrate to Android/iOS, and some of their game consumption will follow. And this changes is a good one we should embrace

Comment

The people who made that have a different utopian vision of gaming.
                      So what you are actually saying is: The company with the largest gaming platform in the world, regularly analyzing their users behavior and hardware, making millions of dollars with that, know worse about which gaming platform is the most viable for creating a new future for their company than DanLamb, a self-proclaimed expert on Phoronix.
                      Especially funny was when you came up with the Mac statistics (which are about 3% of the Steam users, according to the survey) to back up your claims about PC gaming. Who the hell is buying a Mac for gaming?
                      At least you made it easy to spot that you make your stuff up and actually have no clue, thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X