No announcement yet.

KWin On Mir: A Solution To Non-Existent Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should have put an extra smiley...i was just kidding....but really, i prefer X11 to anything...

Anyway....do you think that they will ever do it taking in account Wayland (and Mir) ?!? Will there be markets that will be enough to ever justify pursuing it's development ?!?

Comment

I highly doubt it. It feels like the X12 idea was like a draft for Wayland anyway. Especially given that many Wayland devs are also X11 devs.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        You've got to be kidding. I want Wayland and I don't need llvm at all.

Good joke. We don't need compatibility with closed crap like windows.

No1 rule of openes: Open_source, free software.

No2: Compatibility. An open_source Windows_only program, is half closed. A closed one compatible with Linux is half open.

No3: Compatibility with all hardware. Sources, VM_compilations (Java, LLVM), emulation (Qemu, Loongshon).

Complete free = Free_software + Platform_independence. Free is what can go everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
          BTW How the hell Canonical wants to support apps like Gimp/Inkscape/LibreOffice - they all Gtk and I really doubt Canonical will port'em all to Gtk3 on their own.
          Hint: they need porting to Gtk3 to run on Wayland too...

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
            Hint: they need porting to Gtk3 to run on Wayland too...
            Porting to Gtk3 is on the GIMP roadmap for Gimp 3.0. Until that happens, they will run just fine on XWayland.

Canonical plans to do something similar for Mir, which just goes to show how detached from reality they are - not only are they thinking they can develop a fully functional, new display server, they also think they can develop the compatibility layer which enables legacy X apps on top of it... and all this in 6 months or so. Delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Porting to Gtk3 is on the GIMP roadmap for Gimp 3.0. Until that happens, they will run just fine on XWayland.

Canonical plans to do something similar for Mir, which just goes to show how detached from reality they are - not only are they thinking they can develop a fully functional, new display server, they also think they can develop the compatibility layer which enables legacy X apps on top of it... and all this in 6 months or so. Delusional.
              Well to be fair they do have XMir running a Unity demo. Not sure if XMir is their own work or just a straight port from XWayland, which is another reason they are getting criticized so much. They are borrowing most of the concepts and actual code (if true for the case of XWayland) from the Wayland project, yet actually tried to spread misinformation and FUD about the foundation from which they build on.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
                I'd be really surprised if Mir would succeed.
                In order for it to happen Canonical needs to
                a) write display server that fulfills demand of all major DEs
                b) would have ability to run legacy apps
                c) would be supported by all major toolkits.
                d) would have several major advantages over Wayland.
                No. They just have to do kick-ass products that users wants to buy... And it looks like QT is going to be on more than one mobile platform at least. That could mean that the former Nokia strategy (before WP luncay) and hard work could bear fruit and be beneficial to all of us.

Martin needs to study what open (free) software is all about before whining.

Comment

Originally posted by Togga View Post
                  Yes, I am sure the maintainer of open-source software's most sophisticated window manager has no clue at all about free software.

Let me guess, you think free software means no one is allowed to criticize anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Togga View Post
                    No. They just have to do kick-ass products that users wants to buy... And it looks like QT is going to be on more than one mobile platform at least. That could mean that the former Nokia strategy (before WP luncay) and hard work could bear fruit and be beneficial to all of us.

What is it about then?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      What is it about then?

"What is Free Software?

?Free software? is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of ?free? as in ?free speech?, not as in ?free beer?.

Free software is a matter of the users' freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it refers to four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
                      The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
                      The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
                      The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this."

--GNU.org

Comment

Working...
                      X