Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source ARM Mali Code Published

Phoronix: Open-Source ARM Mali Code Published

The initial code push has taken place for the Lima Project, which is the open-source ARM Mali graphics driver that's under development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael,

Don't get me wrong, i like that you try to make a video, but if you do it like this then please either don't or just make an audio recording.

Comment

Guys, come on.

As the organizer of the devroom, i am quite happy that someone else steps forward to get talks captured. Sure, we mostly see Will Stephenson, but the audio is very good, and with the slides available (http://people.freedesktop.org/~libv/), what more do you need?

If any of the complainers would be willing to come to FOSDEM, sit in my devroom all day, and tape stuff, then I'd be happy to hear from you so we can work something out for next year. If not, stop complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
        Guys, come on.

As the organizer of the devroom, i am quite happy that someone else steps forward to get talks captured. Sure, we mostly see Will Stephenson, but the audio is very good, and with the slides available (http://people.freedesktop.org/~libv/), what more do you need?

If any of the complainers would be willing to come to FOSDEM, sit in my devroom all day, and tape stuff, then I'd be happy to hear from you so we can work something out for next year. If not, stop complaining.
        Not really. Phoronix is quite a resource and Michael isn't exactly a poor guy from a poor country. Also, it's 2012, not like 2005 when amateurish bad quality video was OK even on respected sites.
        Somebody either needs some money or needs to get a grip on reality, afaik even a modern iPhone can capture better video than this (not to mention a dedicated video device, like a camera).

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Not really. Phoronix is quite a resource and Michael isn't exactly a poor guy from a poor country. Also, it's 2012, not like 2005 when amateurish bad quality video was OK even on respected sites.
          Somebody either needs some money or needs to get a grip on reality, afaik even a modern iPhone can capture better video than this (not to mention a dedicated video device, like a camera).
          Flip Mino HD was used for recording... Usually it works fine as shown in the other videos, but for some talks like Luc's is where people come in at the last minute and decide to sit right in front of the camera and its small tripod.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

at the end of the video, luc says a drm driver is unimportant and a waste of time, what does he mean by that? is he saying like a x11 2d driver is pointless? because that would make sense. or is he talking about the actual drm component of the kernel driver, because i thought that was just a necessary part of making gallium or the entire linux 3d stack work.

Comment

Just a heads-up for anyone looking at upgrading phones to play with this: Samsung produces OMAP and Snapdragon variants of the Galaxy S II as well as the Exynos version, so you can't just go out and buy any "Galaxy S II" and expect to get a Mali GPU.

Comment

Ok so if people can reverse engineer NVIDIA GPUs and ARM Mali GPUs, how come no-one has bothered to tackle the PowerVR GPUs?
                Is it just a case that no-one with the interest in doing so has started up a project? Is it that PowerVR hardware is much more complex than other hardware that has been reverse engineered so far? Are there legal concerns regarding PowerVR hardware (e.g. PowerVR being more likely to sue over open drivers than NVIDIA or ARM)?

Comment

Working...
                X