Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other X.Org Discussions At The Ubuntu 11.04 Summit

Phoronix: Other X.Org Discussions At The Ubuntu 11.04 Summit

Two days ago we reported on what the graphics stack should look like for Ubuntu 11.04 in terms of its X.Org Server, Mesa / Gallium3D, and the open-source graphics driver versions to be deployed in this next Linux operating system release codenamed the Natty Narwhal. This though wasn't the only X-related discussion to take place at the Ubuntu 11.04 developer summit in Orlando this week, but there were other related topics discussed such as KMS configuration / quirk handling, the multi-monitor experience on the Ubuntu desktop, and multi-touch support. There were also talks aimed at Linaro / embedded Ubuntu on ARM platforms with regards to embedded GPU drivers and OpenGL ES support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Eh?

"Back when the open-source drivers relied on user-space mode-setting, affected users could use a variety of options within the xorg.conf to override values and handle quirks within the server. However, with kernel mode-setting that support is out the window. "

Um, what? As I understand it, this is not true at all. You can still enter modelines into xorg.conf and specify preferred display modes via xorg.conf whether you're using old X, post-RandR 1.2 X, UMS or KMS. Really not sure what this is about.

Comment

I suspect the statement was supposed to be parsed as something like "if you can get modelines into xorg.conf they probably still work but since you can't see the screen to type anything...".

I don't actually know if modelines can be passed down to KMS (so nobody take the above as confirmation that you can or can not), but I think it's the inability to see what you are typing that is the main issue.
      Test signature

Comment

well, you can always dodge that with 'nomodeset'. but yeah, it's another hoop to jump through.

I'm really 99% sure it's not correct as written, though. There's a whole RandR 1.2 syntax for specifying default modes in xorg.conf.

Comment

I would love to see Windows 7 like Multi Monitor support on Ubuntu. You set it up once and it will remember the config, unplug the HDMI it will automatically return to the previous configuration.

It might not be very easy to do or they might not have enough time to do it, but that should be the goal.

Comment

That's mostly implemented in the drivers AFAIK. In theory fglrx should do that, although I haven't actually tried.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              That's mostly implemented in the drivers AFAIK. In theory fglrx should do that, although I haven't actually tried.
              My mom's system has FGLRX installed, I should try it once. My laptop with crappy Intel GPU doesn't do that on Linux, but handles multi monitors like a dream under Win7... what a shame

Comment

gnome mostly takes care of all this, at least in Fedora we've pretty much got,

auto-detect of digital monitors, and EDID capable analog monitors,
                monitor switch key will work through a list of configuratons
                saved configurations list
                video= on command line for basic EDID override + xorg.conf for X overrides,

when no monitors are plugged in we'll setup a 1024x768, and even start X here and when you hotplug something gdm should pick it up.

Though of course patches from the Ubuntu guys are always welcome, though I'm guessing they'll forget to actually discuss the issues upstream first, hack up a pile of shit and then blame us for not taking it.

Comment

@AdamW

When i used nomodeset option it did not help me much. nouveau.modeset=0 or radeon.modeset=0 helped however. Where is the nomodeset option evaluated?

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                    gnome mostly takes care of all this
                    Do you think GNOME should be responsible for it? I can accept that the configuration you want for GNOME may not be the configuration you want for something else but it would be nice to have some common interface for handling this.

Comment

Working...
                    X