ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Continues Advancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Open source has one big advantage over closed source development, however, which is that users can bisect regression failures. We really need to get something similar implemented in the closed source world
    This implies answering to your users. As soon as amd released the specs I bought an ati card and I started to use it with fglrx discovering some issues with libdrm v.<something>. I contacted the debian maintainer and he told me he was unable to do anything, so I contacted ati's technical support (linking the bugs reports) and I received no answer. I don't think they wanted some kind of user interaction and in fact I reported fglrx issues no more.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Open source has one big advantage over closed source development, however, which is that users can bisect regression failures. We really need to get something similar implemented in the closed source world (the problem is sanitizing out future product info, not tools/process).
      Something like walking a customer through a bisect session with a script on a web server?

You'd probably need a server with a huge repository of binary patches corresponding to commits, and with every bisect step merge the necessary patches to a single one for download, so the customer can easily apply and test.

I guess that would be a real win for your customers.

Comment

last piglit test with r600g (22 september) : 824/930

19 august r600c : 642/711

R600G WIN !

Comment

What does that mean in general usage? Is it faster/more feature complete/more bugfree...?

Comment

Originally posted by Schmaker View Post
            Is it faster/more feature complete/more bugfree...?
            No.

[stupid 10 characters limit]
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              No.

[stupid 10 characters limit]
              I noticed. I gave it a shot - HoN got some color corruptions (logged at console as well). Fallout 3 crashes X server. Counter Strike is working properly on framerate 10~20 FPS. Age of Empires 3 wont start. Lightsmark have same graphic corruptions as in classic driver. glxgears works
              Everything has like 2/3 or 1/2 performance of classic open driver. Anyway - pretty nice beginning. Keep a good job opensource crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Schmaker View Post
                I noticed. I gave it a shot - HoN got some color corruptions (logged at console as well). Fallout 3 crashes X server. Counter Strike is working properly on framerate 10~20 FPS. Age of Empires 3 wont start. Lightsmark have same graphic corruptions as in classic driver. glxgears works
                Everything has like 2/3 or 1/2 performance of classic open driver. Anyway - pretty nice beginning. Keep a good job opensource crowd
                824/930 on piglit is like a grade of "F". The grading scale goes, 920 - 930 = A, 910 - 919 = B, 900 - 909 = C, 890 - 899 = D, less than 890 = F

Why so harsh? Well, if the space shuttle only supported 824 out of 930 remote commands, how many space shuttles do you think would make it into orbit without blowing up? A corollary of Murphy's Law would be that the vast majority of 3d engines are going to need one or more features in that unsupported 106/930 gap, so you can either rewrite all the 3d engines people are using on Linux today (not gonna happen), or you can fix the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                  824/930 on piglit is like a grade of "F". The grading scale goes, 920 - 930 = A, 910 - 919 = B, 900 - 909 = C, 890 - 899 = D, less than 890 = F

Why so harsh? Well, if the space shuttle only supported 824 out of 930 remote commands, how many space shuttles do you think would make it into orbit without blowing up? A corollary of Murphy's Law would be that the vast majority of 3d engines are going to need one or more features in that unsupported 106/930 gap, so you can either rewrite all the 3d engines people are using on Linux today (not gonna happen), or you can fix the drivers.
                  Judging by the fact that a good junk of the fails were in shaders and texturing where there were 41 failures and 40 failures respectively, I think it would be more appropriate to compare the current situation to a shuttle with a wing and an engine missing. This is encouraging, because it means the parts that are implemented more or less completely are of good quality and hopefully will not be very troublesome down the road.

There's likely even more subtlety in the numbers depending on whether additional tests were activated to try generate more data on specific problem areas.

Comment

It's probably worth mentioning that if the shuttle supported 824 out of 930 remote commands and a typical mission used 850 commands then missions would probably not run smoothly. If, on the other hand, a typical mission used 56 commands from 930 then you could go for years without running into a problem. I suspect that a typical application's usage of the full OpenGL feature set is probably closer to 56/930 than 850/930... and if any of the 56 were failing then they would have been fixed after the first mission

Also, the real-world implications of a piglet failure typically do not include loss of life, unless you stare at a mis-rendered opponent in a shooter game for too long and your player gets fragged as a result. Invisible opponents in Nexuiz were a bigger problem, of course... MAJOR loss of life there
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post

Yes, i know that .

But just 1 month ago, r600G was 600/800. So i think the driver is maturing really fast. Maybe in 2-3 month ,it will be mostly complete.And in 3-6 month, i will be as fast/faster than r600c.

juzt to compare, fglrx from april :621/693

so, proprietary driver is not 100% perfect too.

Comment

Working...
                      X