Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Plasma To Be Reworked, Use More OpenGL

Phoronix: KDE's Plasma To Be Reworked, Use More OpenGL

While we already know that by the time KDE Software Compilation 4.7 rolls around it may optionally support OpenGL 3.0 within the KWin compositing manager, but with time KDE's Plasma may begin using more OpenGL too. Aaron Seigo has written a lengthy blog post about what he hopes to achieve with Plasma and its library going a few releases out into the future. This includes a rather extensive rework of Plasma and its drawing, which would include the use of more OpenGL to allow for greater hardware acceleration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

[/care]

I would appreciate it much more if they would develop a kick-ass office suit or something else actually useful that would drastically improve the desktop experience as a whole.

Extra shiny buttons are overrated.

Comment

You have KOffice, which is quite basic, but clean.

The reason why it is not as powerful as some other office suites is the lack of manpower.

I personally found that KDE 4 drastically improved the desktop experience as a whole, which is directly tied to Plasma and the new KWin.

In any case, there is no plan to drop the CPU codepaths any time soon, in Plasma or in KWin.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        You have KOffice, which is quite basic, but clean.
        I like basic and clean so I will have to look into that. Thanks!

BTW, I am not all about Office suits or something. That was just the example that popped up first. I just backspaced the rest of the list because it doesn't make the point any better. Also if the KDE team would like to hear criticism I think they can find enough already on the internetz.

Comment

KOffice is not terribly good at MS Office formats, so if that's important to you, OpenOffice is better.

KOffice does use the Open Document format, though, so it can easily exchange documents with OOo and others (Gnumeric, Abiword, etc.)

Comment

EDIT: The import of MS XML document (Office 2007) is ok, but the older binary formats are problematic.

Comment

All of this work though would result in a new library (libplasma2) that would be source and binary incompatible with the current Plasma library used by KDE SC 4.x. Nearly everything would need to be ported over to QML as part of this endeavor.
              How much work would this involve? Half of 3.x to 4.x ? Less, more ?

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                [/care]

I would appreciate it much more if they would develop a kick-ass office suit or something else actually useful that would drastically improve the desktop experience as a whole.

Extra shiny buttons are overrated.
                There are some applications which are out of range for other DEs like Amarok and DigiKam. Koffice matures and Krita is becoming a wonderful application for drawers. It has some important advantages over GIMP:

Notable features introduced in the 1.5 release included CMYK, L*a*b and many more color spaces, with bit depths from 8 to 32 bits per channel.
                The problem you're according to is related to people who do what they like to do. We can't force anyone to work on this while he prefers working on something else. I'd force (but I can't) Gnome devs to make some useful music application. Some may like Rhythmbox, but I can't stand its playlist. Comparing KDE to Gnome KDE is clearly a winner in terms of applications, Firefox, OOo, GIMP, Inkskape aren't Gnome applications, but just use Gtk toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by karl View Post
                  How much work would this involve? Half of 3.x to 4.x ? Less, more ?
                  You should read the Aaron's blog. It's worth to notice these changes should be completely invisible to end users.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    You should read the Aaron's blog. It's worth to notice these changes should be completely invisible to end users.
                    What 'should be' and the actual outcome are not always the same. In the end it probably will be visible to end users in a not so pleasant way. We'll see a lot of angry KDE users, then we'll see a blogpost from the KDE devs shifting the blame to others (God forbid that for once they take some responsibility for their own cock-ups!) In short: L'histoire se r?p?te.

Comment

Working...
                    X