Upstream X/Wayland Developers Bash Canonical, Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    It seemed like they were all gung-ho about Wayland but then a few weeks back it came out that they were working on their own scheme. Seemed very surprising.

My gut is that they needed something that worked on phones / tablets now with a lot of SoC driver support so they wanted to take Android SF in and see what they could do with it.
    Daniel Stone said:
    Every Mesa driver supports Wayland, plus numerous properietary drivers (mostly running on ARM)
    Thus SoC and phone support isn't really a reason to not choose Wayland, not to mention that joining forces with Red Hat, Intel, etc by betting on a single display server - Wayland - would make it (much) easier and more realistic to get companies (including Nvidia/AMD) to write their (closed source) drivers with Wayland in mind.

Canonical knows this well, and the only reason that makes sense for them to create their own display server is to have full control of it - it also explains why they didn't contribute/complain/suggest/ask before anything about Wayland.
    Last edited by mark45; 04 March 2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      The main point is Canonical didn't complain at all about Wayland, didn't contribute, didn't ask questions, didn't propose solutions, didn't object to anything, just sat there quiet and then bang - they say Wayland sucks and they "have" to use their own solution. Anyone non-brain damaged knows it's not about Wayland, it's about the NIH syndrome, and more importantly, the fact that Canonical can't control it.
      It is their company. What their developers do is none of your business.

Comment

Isn't there any fork yet?

Comment

Daniel Stone said:

"Every Mesa driver supports Wayland, plus numerous properietary drivers (mostly running on ARM)"

Thus SoC and phone support isn't really a reason to not choose Wayland, not to mention that joining forces with Red Hat, Intel, etc by betting on a single display server - Wayland - would make it (much) easier and more realistic to get companies (including Nvidia/AMD) to write their (closed source) drivers with Wayland in mind.
          I'm thinking there might be some miscommunication or something. Wayland is working with PowerVR, Qualcomm, Tegra and Exynos drivers as Ubuntu Touch is? That's surprising to me. Even still, I'd have to think that a massaged Android version is more mature than Wayland for these cases.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
            Those were my words and commenting them is none of your business. There, I reply to assholes like an asshole too.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              I'm thinking there might be some miscommunication or something. Wayland is working with PowerVR, Qualcomm, Tegra and Exynos drivers as Ubuntu Touch is? That's surprising to me. Even still, I'd have to think that a massaged Android version is more mature than Wayland for these cases.
              Even if it's true (they're more mature) - what is easier, to write your own display server or join forces with the rest of the players behind Wayland and get those companies to improve their drivers? Me thinks the latter is the clearly better option.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
                But that does not change the fact that what they are doing is likely to be destructive. And just because someone has the right to does not give them the right not to be criticized for it. So can we drop this line now?

Comment

Those were my words and commenting them is none of your business. There, I reply to assholes like an asshole too.
                  You could say that the motivation for MIR in the wiki is like the marketing for openrc some times ago

Comment

This is why I left Ubuntu and it's derivatives and am now pushing people i introduce to Linux to use alternative distrobutions. Ubuntu is going downhill pretty fast.

Comment

Even if it's true (they're more mature) - what is easier, to write your own display server or join forces with the rest of the players behind Wayland and get those companies to improve their drivers? Me thinks the latter is the clearly better option.
                      I think that for the desktop, the latter is the better option. But for the mobile space I think just a fork of Android's solution would be the best way to go, especially considering how they really want to ship products ASAP.

But converging both form factors into a single display tech is what gets me queasy. We've seen this rodeo played out a few times now and it doesn't end pretty.

Comment

Working...
                      X