Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.04 Finally Enables SSD TRIM By Default

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.04 Finally Enables SSD TRIM By Default

The 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" operating system release will be the first version of Ubuntu Linux shipping SSD TRIM support by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

too early ?

adding discard options to ext4 on SSD is not a good idea.
    when removing a lot of small files (make clean ?), it can freeze a computer for 5-10min.
    it's the case on my laptop (quad-core with 6G RAM), and a better method is to add fstrim to a crontab.

when I say freeze, I mean all keystroke/click are delayed by 30-40s, so it's completely unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by jockinator View Post
      when removing a lot of small files (make clean ?), it can freeze a computer for 5-10min.
      it's the case on my laptop (quad-core with 6G RAM), and a better method is to add fstrim to a crontab.

when I say freeze, I mean all keystroke/click are delayed by 30-40s, so it's completely unusable.
      I don't have this problem on my desktop (256 GiB Samsung 840 Pro, i7-2600 K, 8GB of RAM, running Xubuntu 13.10). I don't notice anything like excessive RAM usage or something like that.

Comment

So why could Windows add this in 2009?

Comment

No problem here either

Originally posted by jockinator View Post

I am with Calinou, I have never had that issue. And even after months of updates apt-get clean is instantaneous. I do not compile a lot, and my projects are relatively small, but make clean is also instantaneous for me.

I am using Debian Sid/Jessie not Ubuntu.

For 99% of users discard is a good idea. For people like you, you are smart enough to edit fsatb and use crontab instead.

Comment

I use Gentoo and I never had such an issue on my Intel X25-M G2
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

So they're using fstrim and a daily or weekly cron job.

Does anyone know how Windows does it? I keep hearing that neither discard nor fstrim with a cron job are ideal (which was why there was such a long debate on whether or not to enable TRIM by default) and Windows does it completely differently but no one knows how.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
                So why could Windows add this in 2009?
                Linux could do that too. It only didn't because you didn't write required patches back in 2009. Linux is free mate, nobody is stopping you from adding support for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                  Linux could do that too. It only didn't because you didn't write required patches back in 2009. Linux is free mate, nobody is stopping you from adding support for anything.
                  Its actually funny cause according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_%2...system_support Linux had TRIM support before Windows did :P
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                    Linux is free and is all about choice. Your comment assumes that my choice of paying for an expert to do it for me does not exist in the Linux world. I hope you will never use that 'argument' again.

Comment

Working...
                    X