Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Shake-Up In The Ubuntu 11.04 Release Schedule

Phoronix: A Shake-Up In The Ubuntu 11.04 Release Schedule

Not only did Canonical announce today their relatively uninteresting hardware database, but Kate Stewart, the Ubuntu Release Manager, announced a scheduling change for the Ubuntu 11.04 release candidate. There will be no release candidate for Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal", but an additional beta is now planned for release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This doesn't seem that big of a deal. But what does seem to be a big deal is 11.04 is going to use Wayland which Nvidia says they are not interested in making a driver for it. SO I'M supposed to give up gaming and 3d acceleration and just use the open source 2d driver?
    No thanks think I will stick with 10.04 as long as possible then give Debian another go.

Comment

Ubuntu is not using Wayland by default in 11.04 and likely not even in 11.10. What Ubuntu did announce originally was a statement of support for the Wayland project. This statement it was hope would stir up some more development and put additional pressure on hardware manufacturers to support it.

When Ubuntu switches fully to Wayland it likely won't before other distros have and they sure won't do it with some sort of fall back.

As for the beta... my thoughts are that they are adding/improving something for that beta 2 and don't want it locked into the RC state. It is likely something that effects the installer/installation (back end) process in a big way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipsis View Post
        Ubuntu is not using Wayland by default in 11.04 and likely not even in 11.10. What Ubuntu did announce originally was a statement of support for the Wayland project. This statement it was hope would stir up some more development and put additional pressure on hardware manufacturers to support it.

When Ubuntu switches fully to Wayland it likely won't before other distros have and they sure won't do it with some sort of fall back.

As for the beta... my thoughts are that they are adding/improving something for that beta 2 and don't want it locked into the RC state. It is likely something that effects the installer/installation (back end) process in a big way.
        Thanks for clearing that up!
        What can I say I'm a Linux noob!

Comment

Is this actually a change? Just seems like a rename of rc to beta2 to me

Comment

Originally posted by Iksf View Post
            Is this actually a change? Just seems like a rename of rc to beta2 to me
            That's an 8 character change! Not only is that a HUGE shake up it also deserves a news article at Phoronix :\

Comment

Im more than OK with this, as long as we dont see the delays and design change mishaps like we saw in Gnome 3, that would be terrible

But im sure they have a well planned schedule and it will be a superb release!

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                That's an 8 character change! Not only is that a HUGE shake up it also deserves a news article at Phoronix :\
                This...

Stupid minimum character limit...

Comment

Working...
                X