Valve & Intel Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    That sounds like a good enough motivation to me.

I'm just curious to know more about the background info / thinking process. I'm nosy.
    Additional info http://newcdn.flamehaus.com/Valve_Handbook_LowRes.pdf

Comment

Forget EA (the most recent games from them suck anyway) ....EA and Steam/Valve are in a state of War...well, not exactly, but all future EA games will be Origin exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        As I've said for months, the stuff Valve has going on will make or break the Linux desktop for good. The stuff they have planned is really great.
        I don't like the diction of "make or break". That sounds like there's a chance that they could make things worse in the end by what they do. Hopefully you're wrong and that all they're contributing is pure positive with no negatives.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          I don't like the diction of "make or break". That sounds like there's a chance that they could make things worse in the end by what they do. Hopefully you're wrong and that all they're contributing is pure positive with no negatives.
          It's not that they'd do something to make toxic Linux, but that if Valve Software can't become viable on Linux, there's likely no hope for the Linux desktop ever going truly mainstream and posing serious competition to Windows on the desktop.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            It's not that they'd do something to make toxic Linux, but that if Valve Software can't become viable on Linux, there's likely no hope for the Linux desktop ever going truly mainstream and posing serious competition to Windows on the desktop.
            My words. I hope Valve is fully aware of their responsibilities...

On the other hand, if Valve can't do it who else could?
            But that's exactly the (dangerous) point of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              My words. I hope Valve is fully aware of their responsibilities...

On the other hand, if Valve can't do it who else could?
              But that's exactly the (dangerous) point of the story.
              I don't think Valve is a "make or brake" factor for desktop linux.

Linux has its own problems that make it "difficult" for the average user + you have to have something that might make them take notice. Freedom is not one of the things that will attract for sure. Techical advance either. Apple managed to attract people with beauty and the promise of peace of mind (just works etc.).

Comment

The last thing in the world I would feel from an Apple product is peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by jvillain View Post
                  The last thing in the world I would feel from an Apple product is peace of mind.
                  But they're magical.

Comment

A lot of these problems mirror issues that we've seen with other game engines (e.g., Unigine).
                    I'm sure they kinda loled and ignore them, 'cause they're just some russian dudes, right? But when the big boys at Valve cometh... things... are... different

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      I don't think Valve is a "make or brake" factor for desktop linux.

Linux has its own problems that make it "difficult" for the average user + you have to have something that might make them take notice. Freedom is not one of the things that will attract for sure. Techical advance either. Apple managed to attract people with beauty and the promise of peace of mind (just works etc.).
                      I think you're wrong, Valve can do damage to Linux if they fail. They will be an example for other companies not to follow. They will think: wow Valve such a big company and they failed, we will probably fail too so we better stay out of Linux.

I think we should contact other companies now and tell them that Valve is porting Steam and games to Linux and they should follow them before seeing the end result of Valve's endeavour.

I just hope that all the games ported to Linux can be played on older distributions, in my case Ubuntu 10.10 - latest with Gnome 2.32.
                      Btw, fuck Gnome3, GTK3, Arch linux, Debian, Mark Shuttleworth and software patents.

Comment

Working...
                      X