AMD Catalyst Linux 12.6 Beta Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    just tell me why not just fix the dynamic automatic power managment in the radeon driver?
    It's just not THAT easy to do, is it? I hope that it will be taken care of when the RadeonSI driver is brought up to other Radeon drivers' level.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      You can't set profiles in the xorg conf; are you sure you are following :

ie :

- check to make sure the /sys paths mentioned below are present and tweak the commands if necessary
      - echo "profile" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
      - echo "low" or "mid" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
      That is what I do, use "low", but still only get an hour +, instead of two and a half with fglrx

Comment

same for me.. the clock rates is low according to "low profile" but it overheats still a lot..!

Comment

Just checking...

When you guys talk about "overheating", do you actually mean the machine shuts down because the temp exceeds a threshold, or is the laptop simply hotter but otherwise functional?

Comment

no shutdown. but not really functionnal for a laptop which has (with FOSS driver) half time battery and 10-15 degrees Celcius more on idle than Catalyst driver :/

Comment

Originally posted by Kano
              Verified that weird crash on debian wheezy with xserver 1.12.0, 1.12.1, 1.12.1.902. As it was a beta, i want a 2nd one...
              Installed on my Debian SID, also upgraded the xserver to 1.12.902 on the upgrade and fglrx doesn't work. It keeps with a cursor blinking after gdm3 load, and in the xorg log file it apears "no free vt" error. Is that the crash do you say?

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                Just checking...

When you guys talk about "overheating", do you actually mean the machine shuts down because the temp exceeds a threshold, or is the laptop simply hotter but otherwise functional?
                Depends on what you call functional. With the fglrx drivers I usually have about 45?C CPU temperature on idle and about 65-70?C under heavy load. With the radeon drivers I get 60?C minimum and under heavy load the CPU goes up to 85-90?C. This does not shut down the system, but it is not healthy at all, so I wouldn't call that functional.

Comment

The radeond driver is very problematic, first of all the temperature is very high than the binary driver, I get 92 degrees with my laptop hp pavilion dv6 2120, but when I use catalyst driver I get 71/82 degrees. The second problem is that the driver radeon don't had a video aceleration like xvba-video, For me that I have an amd x2 is impossible to watch a movie 1080p with the radeon driver

Comment

@Khudsa

You see a bit more in the log file, but the result is of course no X running. I installed a 32 bit system to compare and there X starts with xserver 1.12. I want a new beta with debian 64 bit support, kernel 3.4/3.5 support and maybe with dx10 hardware pci ids... btw. in the debian fglrx packaging a valid signature file was added, so when you run a 32 bit system you will not see a testing watermark. The problematic part is still that sometimes the control file is only for consumer hardware but not for the workstation (firegl) ones. I can accept a whitelist which is exactly the same for the fglrx kernel module for amdcccle and the (useless) control file but not when there are only a subset of the ids. The driver is generic by nature, it usually works even when amd did not test it - and when they tested it it does not mean that the driver is bug free anyway. So just an extra annoying thing than something useful. No win user ever saw a watermark with a beta driver, there even those drivers are promoted in

i think it was the first time that the linux driver link was on the same beta page, usually they called it hotfix for whatever.

Comment

I want that driver too Kano, an xserver 1.12, amd64 compatible one...

By the way, the error I say is this:

Code:
                      Fatal server error:
                      [    80.563] xf86OpenConsole: Cannot find a free VT

Comment

Working...
                      X