Rekonq 2.0 KDE Web-Browser Brings New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    You clearly haven't used the web in recent years.

Even pages like the current Jamendo and Github go overly JS-happy, and are rather heavy to render because of that. (insert disclaimer how JS engines are likely multithreaded already, and that grandparent should clarify which part he meant)

(insert rant how people who can't code are writing JS, and too much of it too)
    I admit I haven't used Jamendo. But I use Github regularly and it barely registers in task manager on an i5-2500k. Maybe after HTML5 hits us and browser gaming starts taking advantage of that, multiple threads per tab will start to make sense. But not now, imho.
    Plus, the guy is picking on Rekonq as if all the major browsers have this feature already. Either he knows little about multithreading or is just acting trollish.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
      It looks like Chrome to me. Minimalistic interfaces are the new design trend nowadays and removing options a feature. I have always critisized Windows 8 for removing features, but linux desktops are following the same trend.
      Rekonq is a browser, not a Linux desktop. It has nothing directly to do with any KDE desktop ? not even the involved developers: Rekonq is a one man project, done by someone who is not involved with any KDE desktop component (not even KDEWebKit).
      KDE?s default browser ? to this day ? is Konqueror.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Rekonq is a browser, not a Linux desktop. It has nothing directly to do with any KDE desktop ? not even the involved developers: Rekonq is a one man project, done by someone who is not involved with any KDE desktop component (not even KDEWebKit).
        KDE?s default browser ? to this day ? is Konqueror.
        Also:

people should note that all KDE applications can hide the menubar by pressing Ctrl+M. I hide it all the time in apps to save space, but you can always bring it back if you need to use it.

It's possible that Rekonq in the screenshots is simply doing this.

Comment

Nope, but that's the whole point of Rekonq existence. Different, more modern UI
          All the web-rendering is done by kde-webkit kpart (kinda wrapped qtwebkit). KDE browsers (both konqueror and rekonq) are just ui + additional goodies like adblock and dev tools.
          If anyone wanna menus and oldchool ui - just use konqueror with webkit kpart.
          Multi-threaded rendering iirc is webkit2 feature, so we have to wait for qt5-based release.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
            Nope, but that's the whole point of Rekonq existence. Different, more modern UI.
            At least in the past Rekonq had a menu bar and exported it via dbus ? for use with e.g. Canonical's Global Menu Plasma widget. The author just strictly refused to add the option to display it (as Dolphin does, for example). The feature seems to be gone ? at least with the implementation that has entered Plasma Workspaces 4.10.

Comment

Just to mention, JS has no multithreading support and trying to run scripts concurrently is going to get you bucketloads of deadlock or way too much overhead trying to put locks on every variable. Also, most web pages are limited to loading by the download rate, not the rendering speed. Performance in technologies like webgl and html5 is based more on how the underlying tools are implemented below the programming on a page (albeit, you can easily make a page run like barf).

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                Just to mention, JS has no multithreading support and trying to run scripts concurrently is going to get you bucketloads of deadlock or way too much overhead trying to put locks on every variable. Also, most web pages are limited to loading by the download rate, not the rendering speed. Performance in technologies like webgl and html5 is based more on how the underlying tools are implemented below the programming on a page (albeit, you can easily make a page run like barf).
                Newer javascript implementations do support creating worker threads. You have to program that explicitly, of course, since the runtime assumes a single-threaded environment by default.

I think webkit 2 was supposed to introduce a lot of threading support, wasn't it? Has Safari switched over to the new API yet? I don't think any of the other browsers using webkit have.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
                  Multi-threaded rendering iirc is webkit2 feature, so we have to wait for qt5-based release.
                  Qt-4.8.4 uses QtWebkit-2.2. Qt5 updated to 2.3, which brings that multithreaded rendering (and MANY fixes). There were discussions about a seperate QtWebkit-package, that could bring 2.3 to Qt-4.8*, but I never read about it again.
                  That would be a great option for Qt5, too, because WebKit is the critical part for security of the browser, so it really should get updates whenever there was a security issue. Currently QtWebkit only get's updates with Qt-updates, which is only one in several months.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                    Qt-4.8.4 uses QtWebkit-2.2. Qt5 updated to 2.3, which brings that multithreaded rendering (and MANY fixes).
                    QtWebKit 2.2 does not use WebKit2. At some point there was the suggestion to rebrand QtWebKit to WebKit-Qt to make a clearer distinction between WebKit-Qt 2.2 and WebKit2-Qt 1.x but the suggestion was completely ignored by the relevant people (no idea whether on purpose or accidentally).

Comment

Reqonq is on version 2.0?

I remember last using it on version 0.8
                      It's amazing how time flies!

Comment

Working...
                      X