Future of ATI Linux drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
    Hey..hey...hey...none of that 1% BS. The Linux desktop market share is up to 1.02%. Don't forget it.
    Ya but that 1.02% is metric....

Comment

• Hey, it's all coming together. We just hired another Linux developer... in Canada... where things are also metric
      Test signature

Comment

• hello

Any news on the driver supporting Xorg 1.7 .

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Ya but that 1.02% is metric....
          I know it's all a joke and stuff but to get back to reality, Linux use is currently a lot larger than that world-wide. If you look at non-U.S. countries especially. But whatever. ^^

Comment

• +1 to an open driver though as openness is a good feature in anything. And yes, it would be nice to know more about what is coming down the grfx pipe and what users can expect. Like whatever Lucid Lynx's X.org closed driver support is coming for instance, since I don't think some of my games will run with the open one yet though I'm certainly going to try it first. :P

Comment

• Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
              I know it's all a joke and stuff but to get back to reality, Linux use is currently a lot larger than that world-wide. If you look at non-U.S. countries especially. But whatever. ^^
              Do you have some evidence to support that? The usage statistics I saw so far pretty much agree with that 1%...

Comment

• Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                Do you have some evidence to support that? The usage statistics I saw so far pretty much agree with that 1%...
                It depends what statistics did you saw. Some take microsoft.com and apple.com into account and this is simply idiotic. According to some ranking Linux was more popular then OS X in my country in 2006: 0,9% : 0,2%.

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  It depends what statistics did you saw. Some take microsoft.com and apple.com into account and this is simply idiotic. According to some ranking Linux was more popular then OS X in my country in 2006: 0,9% : 0,2%.
                  Well, the interesting thing is that no, it doesn't depend on what statistics did I see. All of them give Linux about 1-1.5% market share in desktop usage. If you, Yfrwl or somebody else have something different perhaps you can share it.

Comment

• @yotambien NOT all of them. Here's Linux - 4.6%
                    W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

But I'm sure you'll find a reason why this doesn't count.

Comment

• Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      @yotambien NOT all of them. Here's Linux - 4.6%
                      W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

But I'm sure you'll find a reason why this doesn't count.
                      All of them I saw (or remember)...until now.

I don't have any interest in downplaying Linux usage statistics, if you were implying that. But yes, I have a reason to argue that those are probably flawed: it is a technical, IT-related site. If you take a look at their browser statistics you find:

IE (all of them): ~35%
                      Firefox: ~46%
                      Chrome: ~12%
                      Safari: ~4%
                      Opera:~2%

However, Wikimedia statistics tell a different story:

IE: 54%
                      Firefox: 30%
                      Safari: 5%
                      Chrome: 3.7%
                      Opera: ~3%

The argument against those statistics is the same I would raise against the statistics collected from, say, Phoronix, although to a much lesser degree, of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X