Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made cnbc's worst CEO's list

Comment

The tabloids over here are already guessing that Nokia will leave Finland soon. Today they laid off 1000 employees as they outsourced the jobs to china. This is after already closing down a factory and laying of a couple thousand employees.

It is only a matter of time now...

Comment

"is dying" series, only on Phoronix.

Comment

Nokia will be dead because of their own choices ( and i would want to point to the "own choices" not to be misunderstood with "choices they had"). M$ is just the carrion eater here, some other actor in this show devouring all that can be salvaged.
          I am old enough to remember the times when Nokia meant performance, quality, style, resilience when it came to choose a phone. The Nokia devices were a lil' more expensive than other brands but it didnt matter in the end. As someone said once " I am too poor to afford cheap stuff" my choice was clear.

And, facing the Apple's smartphone trend, instead of boldness and ability to adapt, their own choice was to flood the market with cheap devices. It simply doesn't work. I live in Europe, in a less developed country. If someone wants a phone in here, they will aim for the best. They simply cannot afford buying one every 2 months and if they had to squeeze every damned penny in order to reach their target, they will simply aim for the best. Forgot to mention that less developed country means low salaries because most of the other stuff here is worth the same as it does elsewhere. So, in the end, for the consumer but also for the manufacturer its a matter of choices. He who took the poor choice will have to suffer.

I don't blame M$ here, I can only blame Nokia. Too bad for those good professionals forced to relocate, run for a job, stay jobless etc because some CEO and his own investors were either coward or greed enough to allow this company to fall. Sounds like many other unfortunately (Novell..)

Comment

It was the earlier business management that did the big fuck up.
            Nokia was crumbling before Elop. When Elop came I think it was already to late to go with a own new mobile platform for cheap mass-market phones.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
              It was the earlier business management that did the big fuck up.
              Nokia was crumbling before Elop. When Elop came I think it was already to late to go with a own new mobile platform for cheap mass-market phones.
              Yes and the big fuck up was hiring Elop. Nokia was at the top of the world before Elop came. If they had hired a talented CEO and focused on MeeGo and Symbian (which is still MORE popular as a mobile platform than windows phone!) they could have kept on growing, but they had to sell out to microsoft.

The nokia board + Elop should all be convicted as criminals, because they're obviously selling out Nokia and betraying the trust of their shareholders.

Comment

but nokia phones were always in my opinion overpriced. Look at hardware specs of n9 and then look at the price the most expensive single core phone. I an loved meego on the phone.I didnt understand why they didnt keep up developing megoo. It looks like even today they sell more symbian devices than microsoft phones got that info from google.In my opinion they should go back to meego and QT. I don`t understand this exclusivistic bullshit. Only windows OS on their phones. How can samsung htc sony and others make both android handsets and windows ones. I guess nokia thought they are too special and unbreakable, those money they lost billions of euros if they invested all in meego would have kicked android`s ass. Even now in my country a second hand N9 costs close to 350 euros cmon, i would love to have one just because of the meego OS.

Comment

PS i think Elop should just be assasinated for distroing so many people jobs , i won't shed a tear for him.

Comment

Not just phoronix

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                    "is dying" series, only on Phoronix.
                    It is happening IN REALITY, too!

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

The SHAREHOLDERS think that Nokia is dying too!!!

Of course FEEL FREE to pick up some BARGAIN BASEMENT shares if you disagree with them

Comment

And who cares? Only idiots stick with one company's products forever. Be smart and choose whatever is best at any given time. Who cares if company X or Y survives? If they don't produce anything anybody wants, what's the point of that
                      company's existence?

Comment

Working...
                      X