Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrossOver 12.1 Ditches Wine-Mono

Phoronix: CrossOver 12.1 Ditches Wine-Mono

CodeWeavers announced the release of CrossOver 12.1 on Wednesday. This latest release of the popular Wine-based software gets rid of shipping Wine-Mono by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what I don't really get is why it seems to not use the mono version that ships with most distros and only acts as a shim, but packs its own version (at least that's what I guess form this news and the original mailing list post) ... maybe someone can shine some light on that?

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
      what I don't really get is why it seems to not use the mono version that ships with most distros and only acts as a shim, but packs its own version
      Because Wine needs the Windows version of Mono.

Comment

Get rid of this Icaza's crap as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Get rid of this Icaza's crap as soon as possible.
          This is perhaps the best use of it I can think of - as an OSS reimplementation of a microsoft product used specifically to move from windows to linux.

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
            This is perhaps the best use of it I can think of - as an OSS reimplementation of a microsoft product used specifically to move from windows to linux.
            Yeah, but not in Icaza's hands. This jerk is MS sponsored to pollute Linux with MS patents and to fight Qt. The best way is to kill MS products and promote Free and Open Source technology.

Comment

@kraftman

Agreed.

There for we should focus on improving free, libre and open source software.
              Improving GTK and Qt is very valuable.

Comment

Something like this

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Yeah, but not in Icaza's hands. This jerk is MS sponsored to pollute Linux with MS patents and to fight Qt. The best way is to kill MS products and promote Free and Open Source technology.
                True, this is the best way.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                  @kraftman

Agreed.

There for we should focus on improving free, libre and open source software.
                  Improving GTK and Qt is very valuable.
                  Mono is free, libre and opensource. It also brings by default Gtk (as part of package) on Windows, and it's Windows.Forms implementation for example uses ONLY GTK/Cairo components.

So you're like arguing: don't fix KDELibs which are the Kde's software middleware, but fix only Qt!? (as Mono is middleware for Mono applications, which have no relations with .Net. No Mono for Andoid application runs in .Net, either MonoTouch application, either Beagle, Banshee as packed for Linux.

Your logic eats itself.

Comment

also, did anyone of you guys who now flame around about how bad mono is and can do no better than doing ad-hominem-attacs ever work with C#? I do as part of my job and can tell you, it's one of the most awesome languages that I worked with yet (kinda like Java without the cruft). Don't be a FLOSS-Nazi and think everything that originates from a company who does proprietary software is evil without even checking.

Comment

Working...
                    X