NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    While one can easily play an HD video with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 and not experience a bottlenecked CPU no matter the video output, as can be seen from the graph above, when using VDPAU there is virtually no CPU usage at all.
    I am sorry, but that is very wrong. You do not specify what movie you used to test "1080p playback" but it obviously is a very simple, low-bitrate clip. Most other 1080p content is a lot more demanding on the processor and a 2Ghz Core would be hard pressed to play it smoothly, let alone at less than 100%!

The reasons for that are simple:
    1. None of the Free/OSS media players support multithreading, so the 4,8,or 64 cores are wasted. This is mostly caused by ffmpeg which still, after all these years, does not do multi-threaded decoding.
    2. Seeing as only one core is used, the speed becomes very important! I've ran a lot of tests with various video files, and the conclusion is that one needs at least 3Ghz for proper playback of most content. Even then there will be some movies that have trouble in certain high-movement parts, for example when there is snow, rain, or flocks of birds flying around.

As a proper test, I recommend two clips:
    1. The Matrix Reloaded intro, with the "green/digital" clock -- that will run sluggish @2Ghz but should be ok @3Ghz.
    2. Scenes with millions of flying birds from "Planet Earth". Those become a slideshow even at 3Ghz.

Of course, a lot of other content will play fine, and the slowdown will only be observed in high-action scenes, but that doesn't make a 2Ghz processor fit for the job, at most it's barely adequate. I would also like to see benchmarks with VDPAU for a movie that brings the processor to it's knees, otherwise these low-bitrate tests are quite useless...

Comment

really? I have an option in xine
      'FFmpeg video decoding thread count'

and could you point to some video material that is
      a) sanely&good coded
      b) 1080p

that can be legally downloaded somewhere?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mgc8 View Post
        2. Scenes with millions of flying birds from "Planet Earth". Those become a slideshow even at 3Ghz.
        Otherwise known as the killa sampla, found easily with google. (Which btw plays fine on even a lowly 8200 IGP with vdpau).

Comment

oh, and why is there a 'threads' useflag for ffmpeg if it doesn't support threads?

maybe your distribution ships a crappy package?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            oh, and why is there a 'threads' useflag for ffmpeg if it doesn't support threads?

maybe your distribution ships a crappy package?
            Ummm, for encoding perhaps? There is a reason why there is a separate project called ffmpeg-mt. (Which is what you use if you want to utilize the threading setting in xine)

Perhaps you missed this article a while back.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Diego Biurrun felt that this multi-threaded version of FFmpeg may still be years away.
            Last edited by deanjo; 20 June 2009, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X