No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon R9 270X On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well for now, R9 270X performance/stability with the opensource driver is a mixed bag. With glamor enabled, 2D performance is bad, without color tiling enabled things are prone to breakage, but 3D performance is top notch. On the other hand, with EXA enabled, 2D performance is excellent, but 3D performance is crap. Even though there arent many commits since the last stable release of xf86-video-ati ddx driver (comparing to xf86-video-intel where Chris is spitting out code like crazy and all the work he invested in SNA acceleration developement) - I'm pretty satisfied with the maturity of the ati/radeon driver, even though this is a (re)brand(ed) new card, things pretty much work OTB.

With some time invested in testing, things could be even better.

First of not so many I hope...

/edit: Oh, and this was a replacement for a GTX460 that was fscked during RMA process (one of the fans were noisy), all things considering I did benefit from the service guys screwup.
    Last edited by combuster; 22 October 2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I have the 7870 version of this card.

Same shader count, cooling, and color scheme.
      The only difference is the 270x has 200MHz more mem clock and 100MHz less core clock.

One thing I noticed is the vgpu is locked on mine, is it locked on your 270x ?
      One of the launch promises for these new cards was being voltage unlocked.

Here is my monitoring/setting app if you want to check http://sterlingdesktops.com/pub/lsad...-0.1.1.tar.bz2
      Last edited by Soul_keeper; 23 October 2013, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I hope this Mantle shit either gets open sourced or together with Direct3d die a horrible, painful death

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
          I have the 7870 version of this card.

One thing I noticed is the vgpu is locked on mine, is it locked on your 270x ?
          One of the launch promises for these new cards was being voltage unlocked.

[/URL]
          I'm at work right now, but AFAIR vgpu is locked on mine too, 1.2V even though gpu/mem freq scale well.

Comment

It is something like this:

old name <-> new name
            8570M (Sun) <-> R7 240 (Oland DDR3)
            8670 <-> R7 250 (Oland XT GDDR5)
            7750 <-> R7 250X (Cape Verde)
            7770 <-> R7 260 (Cape Verde XT)
            7790 <-> R7 260X (Bonair)*
            7850 <-> R9 270 (Pitcrain/Curacao)
            7870 <-> R9 270X (Pitcrain/Curacao XT)
            7950 <-> R9 280 (Tahiti)
            7970 <-> R9 280X (Tahiti XT)
            new <-> R9 290 (Hawaii)*
            new <-> R9 290X (Hawaii XT)*

Comment

When it comes to the OpenCL performance for the Radeon R9 270X, the performance came up short of the Radeon HD 7950 but surprisingly the NVIDIA GeForce Fermi/Kepler performance was awful with the NVIDIA 331.13 Linux graphics driver for the LuxMark workload
              not really.

Comment

2D Open source works well under Fedora 19

I received my MSI R9 270X yesterday and played it with open source driver in Fedora 19.

Without any hacking or additional kernel parameters, it turns out to be very well, at least for average desktop 2D usage.

DPM works so it's power efficient, only adding roughly 5W to my total power consumption.
                VDPAU works and it seems to decode H264 well and no crashes, at least for a 10 mins 1080P clip.
                Desktop effects works in GNOME Shell. Not sure about KDE/Kwin though.

However, I do spot some rendering corruption on Control Panel toolbar. Not sure why it's there because other GTK3 applications(Nautilus, Rhythmbox, Document) doesn't show this problem.

Comment

I'm curious as to why the 7850 is... lacking in a lot of those tests, especially in-comparison to a 7950 and R9 270X...

I just figured "all" newer cards under Linux were generally lower-performing because of drivers currently, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Comment

Working...
                  X