Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running The Unity 8 Preview Session On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: Running The Unity 8 Preview Session On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Today Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is being released and you might be tempted to try out Mir with their Unity 8 mobile/converged UI.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Director

"Olli Ries, one of the developers at Canonical that's long been involved with the Mir display server efforts for Ubuntu,..."

Director of engineering rather

Comment

Originally posted by om26er View Post
      "Olli Ries, one of the developers at Canonical that's long been involved with the Mir display server efforts for Ubuntu,..."

Director of engineering rather
      Great there is Unity.

Comment

How recent was it that they were talking about Mir / Unity 8 being ready for this release? Doesn't seem like it was that long ago?

Comment

oh, so this is the same as what you get when you use Ubuntu Touch?
          I just tried it yesterday (Ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 7), and while it got much better than the last time I tried it, I still find it pretty meh. Both the concept and the realization. It's still pretty buggy, but understandable as it's not a release. But I don't like the UI, Sailfish seems to use swipes much better.

Nice to know that you can install with the cli, I wonder if I can do the same over adb or similar (since there isn't a terminal by default, it seems). It was pretty sad to see only a browser and a setting screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
            oh, so this is the same as what you get when you use Ubuntu Touch?
            I just tried it yesterday (Ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 7), and while it got much better than the last time I tried it, I still find it pretty meh. Both the concept and the realization. It's still pretty buggy, but understandable as it's not a release. But I don't like the UI, Sailfish seems to use swipes much better.

Nice to know that you can install with the cli, I wonder if I can do the same over adb or similar (since there isn't a terminal by default, it seems). It was pretty sad to see only a browser and a setting screen.
            Why would you think of adb on your Desktop? You can either ssh into the machine (if ssh is enabled) or do the changes from another session or VT.

Comment

Originally posted by olli View Post
              Why would you think of adb on your Desktop? You can either ssh into the machine (if ssh is enabled) or do the changes from another session or VT.
              Because I'm talking about my Nexus 7
              Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                How recent was it that they were talking about Mir / Unity 8 being ready for this release? Doesn't seem like it was that long ago?
                They also said quite a while back that it wont be ready until at least 14.10, probably 15.04. It should only be used for testing/development in 14.04 ... definitely not for stable or everyday use yet.

Comment

Working...
                X