Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advice on using PTS numbers to find the bottle-neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice on using PTS numbers to find the bottle-neck?

Hi there,

I'm looking at upgrading my machine to get it ready for editing HDV footage. I know that right now, playback is pretty abysmal, and I'd like to pinpoint where the problem exists so I can upgrade intelligently where it will count. After all, the problem could be hard drive speed, graphics card, graphics driver, cpu etc. etc.

I have PTS installed and running, I'm able to see my figures and compare them to other people's. I'm just having a problem conceptually figuring out how to go from the numbers PTS gives me, to exactly which part of my system is suffering under the load.

I suspect it's my CPU (celeron 3.2ghz) as I have 4 gig of DDR3 ram and an ATI HD4850 using Ubuntu 8.10's FGLRX version. There's a chance my drives may still be IDE though...

Anyway, any helpful suggestions welcome! (Thanks :O)

Originally posted by Mr_Alien_Overlord View Post
    Hi there,

I'm looking at upgrading my machine to get it ready for editing HDV footage. I know that right now, playback is pretty abysmal, and I'd like to pinpoint where the problem exists so I can upgrade intelligently where it will count. After all, the problem could be hard drive speed, graphics card, graphics driver, cpu etc. etc.

I have PTS installed and running, I'm able to see my figures and compare them to other people's. I'm just having a problem conceptually figuring out how to go from the numbers PTS gives me, to exactly which part of my system is suffering under the load.

I suspect it's my CPU (celeron 3.2ghz) as I have 4 gig of DDR3 ram and an ATI HD4850 using Ubuntu 8.10's FGLRX version. There's a chance my drives may still be IDE though...

Anyway, any helpful suggestions welcome! (Thanks :O)
    Your bottleneck is almost certainly do to not having any hw acceleration of playback. Nvidia's vdpau would help out in that regard. Kedenlive is just one such editing software for linux working on using vdpau for the issues you describe.

Comment

Thanks Deanjo,

As soon as VDPAU runs on my ATI card, I'll be very happy.

Agreed that the new version of Kdenlive is pretty sweet though.
      Last edited by Mr_Alien_Overlord; 18 December 2008, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X