Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People incorrectly assume that AMD drivers suck. They don't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just run:
    Code:
    wget -NP /tmp http://kanotix.com/files/fix/oss-test/purge-binary-driver.sh
    sh /tmp/purge-binary-driver.sh
    Then you can activate sid and install fglrx from there. There is a point release which works.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Why in the name of Popeye should anyone have to "setup their rig" to get _anything_ working properly anymore, much less basic media functionality?
      Indeed, one can hope we'll some day be able to get everything working out-of-the-box, though let's be realistic here.
      Also, given all the codecs and third party stuff one has to cram in their box... What exactly is "basic media functionality"?

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
        I am willing, because I like linux, to over look some things.
        But not even be able to use firefox normally....
        A freaking web browser, and my quad core at 3.2, with above vid card,
        cant even scroll s web-page without horrible lag, after installing catalyst drivers.
        Were the drivers installed correctly?

On openSUSE (which I've ben using since 11.1 or so, with fglrx):
        http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/SUSE/openSUSE

Personally I don't blacklist radeon, I just switch to a tty and issue "init 3" as root prior to installing the drivers. Otherwise there is a conflict of some sort with the GL libraries, and 3D hardware acceleration doesn't work.
        Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 12 August 2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          @Dandel

Are you affiliated with AMD?
          No, Just a developer that knows how to debug things and fix the issues.

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
          Nope. I ran testing debian testing.

I don't plan to reported it, sorry. But my rig is:
          Debian Wheezy (testing) 64 bit. It seg faults, with 12-6 catalyst. I've tried Kano script and manual install with same result.

Does not tell me what the hardware looks like. This is part of why AMD bundled the "atigetsysteminfo.sh" script that should be located at "/usr/share/fglrx/"

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
          Indeed, one can hope we'll some day be able to get everything working out-of-the-box, though let's be realistic here.
          Also, given all the codecs and third party stuff one has to cram in their box... What exactly is "basic media functionality"?
          "basic media functionality" could mean simply being able to play mp3 files for all some people are concerned... My guess is the reasonable ability to play 1920x1080 videos without stutter while having vertical sync enabled.

However, some People would foolishly expect all media files to play regardless of system specifications. A desktop with 2.5gHz to 3.0gHz is useless if the System Memory is slow ( DDR2 or DDR memory).

Comment

@Dandel

It is impossible that fglrx 12-6 runs with debian wheezy without libpciaccess hack.

Comment

I think the OP is clueless and so are these other ATI/AMD fanatics. I checked out a Thinkpad T500 laptop and the suspend doesn't work. I can't help think graphics drivers has something to do with it. If one booted up Windows 7 with the same hardware and tried suspend (place the lid down and then lift it up), it would probably wake up properly. I guess people here who own ATI hardware just don't do anything with their computer. Maybe they just stare at it all day or play the odd game that doesn't require much or something.

ATI/AMD drivers suck quite a lot. I'm not sure what happens with Nvidia-driver equipped laptops but I admit, Nvidia is a POS too when it comes to the most recent Nvidia laptops. But, there's already those in the community bashing Nvidia. It seems that ATI/AMD has a ton of apologists defending them all the time while everyone jumps on the bash-Nvidia bandwagon. They both suck when it comes to Linux because support is abysmal for either one.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                I think the OP is clueless and so are these other ATI/AMD fanatics. I checked out a Thinkpad T500 laptop and the suspend doesn't work. I can't help think graphics drivers has something to do with it. If one booted up Windows 7 with the same hardware and tried suspend (place the lid down and then lift it up), it would probably wake up properly. I guess people here who own ATI hardware just don't do anything with their computer. Maybe they just stare at it all day or play the odd game that doesn't require much or something.

ATI/AMD drivers suck quite a lot. I'm not sure what happens with Nvidia-driver equipped laptops but I admit, Nvidia is a POS too when it comes to the most recent Nvidia laptops. But, there's already those in the community bashing Nvidia. It seems that ATI/AMD has a ton of apologists defending them all the time while everyone jumps on the bash-Nvidia bandwagon. They both suck when it comes to Linux because support is abysmal for either one.
                I am tired of listening to all this suspend-doesnt-work-so-amd-sucks! remarks. Could you please elaborate ?

Doesnt work in what sense? Machine does not resume at all? Or just the screen is blank on resume? In the latter case you just needed to increase the brightness a bit to get it working. Annoying workaround : YES. But a bug report with proper description would help more dont you feel?

Comment

I have a HD 6550M and it wouldn't wake up correctly with fglrx for several months.

There were different results when waking up:
                  1. nothing worked. Even the hard disk wouldn't spin up. And yes, it was fglrx because when booting with "nopat" fglrx used some own pat implementation and 1. didn't ever happen with nopat.
                  2. Just the graphical output being completely frozen and fglrx would write "ASIC hang happened" to the log.
                  3. X hanging with 100% CPU in R+ state with no error message.

Since I switched to the open source driver the notebook wakes up correctly about every time.

The xrandr compatibility was also kind of broken back when I used it: You need to have a X config with a Virtual Screen size big enough if you want to attach a second screen in before, otherwise you need to restart X (!!!) in order to attach a screen with its native resolution.
                  I also thought xrandr output like this was impossible until fglrx managed to report two preferred resolutions (even in wrong order):
                  Code:
                  CRT1 connected 1400x1050+1600+12 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 433mm x 271mm
                     1400x1050      60.0*+
                     1680x1050      60.0 +
                     1280x1024      75.0     60.0  
                     1440x900       60.0  
                     1280x960       75.0     60.0  
                     1280x800       75.0     60.0  
                     1152x864       60.0     75.0  
                     1280x768       75.0     60.0  
                     1280x720       75.0     60.0  
                     1024x768       75.0     70.1     60.0  
                     1024x600       75.0     70.1     60.0  
                     800x600        72.2     75.0     60.3  
                     800x480        72.2     75.0     60.3  
                     640x480        75.0     72.8     67.0     59.9  
                     640x350        60.0     70.1
                  That said the topic was more about OpenGL compliance/performance.

There are some more topics one could discuss when it comes to sucking drivers. I am going to buy a notebook with a HD 7970M with AMD's optimus-like "Enduro". I'm not sure if this is a good idea but with GPU offloading already working it at least has a pretty good chance working in the not so far future if the proprietary AMD drivers fail. It will also be very interesting to see if the windows driver in a windows vm succeeds in using the dedicated card with vt-d and pci passthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                    "Doesn't work properly" is a pretty vague statement though, don't you think? Also that's partly what the quoted text in the first post refers to: that people get the impression the drivers don't work properly, although it's due to sloppy programming in the target application.
                    I don't think it's a vague statement. With "doesn't work" I mean that the driver causes crashes, graphic corruption or is really slow ie. things that make the computer unusable. I had two Intel-based laptops before the AMD-based one. Also sometimes I use another laptop with a geforce, and my desktop computer has one too. Neither of them have any issues like this. So yes, this does give me the impression that the fglrx driver is faulty. At this point I don't care if fglrx follows specifications better than Intel's or Nvidia's drivers, I just want my computer to not crash. Perhaps the kernel, compiz or Unity is buggy and fglrx is actually a great driver but since Intel and Nvidia is able to handle this then so should fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      @Dandel

It is impossible that fglrx 12-6 runs with debian wheezy without libpciaccess hack.
                      Wrong, see: http://www.linux-dev.org/2012/08/deb...-fglrx-driver/

Comment

Working...
                      X