Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo IdeaPad S10

Phoronix: Lenovo IdeaPad S10

While there are many different netbooks on the market, one of the models that has been selling quite well and is popular with many enthusiasts is the IdeaPad S10 from Lenovo. The Lenovo IdeaPad S10 can be customized, but is equipped with an Intel Atom N270 processor, a 10.2" anti-glare display, and Broadcom 802.11b/g WiFi. In this latest Phoronix article we are looking at the Lenovo IdeaPad S10 along with providing some Linux-based benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whats the price of this netbook? And again only available with windows?
    Thanks.

Comment

Seems to have a similar awful keyboard layout the Eee PCs have. Samsung has got it right, with the number keys starting where they should and the right shift placed correctly. I am also wondering the need to always include the Windows key and the "list" key. How many people really use them?

Comment

Another netbook with windows... Wake me up when they are sold with linux again...

Comment

You can expect that Win is sold for less than 10$ for those systems, you would not gain much - besides the 1 GB RAM/160 GB HD restriction to get Win that cheap.

Comment

Hahaha I love the way this is worded:

After wiping Windows XP SP3 from the hard disk we proceeded to install Ubuntu 8.10. With Ubuntu 8.10 and the Linux 2.6.27 kernel, everything had appeared to work "out of the box" without any additional configurations.

Comment

I have one of these and am having a problem with the wired networking.
              Sometimes the wired interface just stops working and I have to
              unload / reload the tg3 module to get it back.

This only seems to happen when I am logged into the machine
              remotely and am compiling things (heavy load).

I have searched and found people on freebsd were having the same
              problem (but nobody on linux has reported it).
              I tried applying the driver fix which supposedly worked on freebsd
              to the linux driver but it didn't seem to help.

In all the reviews I have seen of this netbook, it seems like people
              test the wireless and forget about the wired interface.

I don't know if I have a defective device or am just using it in
              a way other people aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                Whats the price of this netbook? And again only available with windows?
                Thanks.
                Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                Another netbook with windows... Wake me up when they are sold with linux again...
                Here in germany they are sold as s10e (e for education), with SuSe Enterprise Linux. Unfortunately these models come with a reflecting screen. But they've got a 160 GB HD, 1,5 GB ram and a 6-cell-battery to make up for it, and for a realy great price: 329? with Linux and 369? with Windows (which has only 1 GB of ram) (that's 433$/485$).
                If I'd buy myself a netbook this would definitly be the one. But I'm looking forward to the AMD-powered 12-inch subnotebooks (or for when I can afford a Thinkpad x200... hey, a guy's allowed to dream :P).
                Last edited by Zhick; 26 January 2009, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Even if microsoft gets only 1 dollar for this netbook with windows, I am not ready to pay this. I can't accept what MS does the whole day and in the world in general and so I won't buy this stuff. It is more a kind of principle.

Now that I know that this is also available with linux (even cheaper + more ram) I read a few reviews and the most annoying point is probably the loud fan. Could I have another statement here? And is the fan controllable with fancontol (pwmconfig)? Thanks!

Comment

Has anyone ever had any luck getting a refund for windows on a netbook? I'm contemplating buying an NC10 and putting in an SSD, but I'm not really interested in paying for a windows license I'll never use.

Comment

Working...
                    X