No announcement yet.

The Lightspark Flash Player Reaches Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenGL video acceleration? Wow, that was a great idea. Now why can't Adobe do that?!

Comment

Originally posted by tomm3h View Post
      OpenGL video acceleration? Wow, that was a great idea. Now why can't Adobe do that?!
      The same reason AMD/ATI can't do drivers.

Comment

The OpenGL part really caught my interest. I'm going to give this a try.

@ DroidHacker:
        While I agree that we should move on from flash to better (and open) technologies, it's wrong to say that flash replacement projects are worthless. There already is a huge amount of flash content out there, much of which will never be recreated in non-flash form. Basically, a modern flash replacement is needed for legacy purposes.
        I have the same kind of mentality towards the Wine project. Sure I always use native Linux software if possible, but there is so much pre-existing windows software out there that people need to use.
        Whether or not these type of projects are prolonging the life of "dying" software is something that can be debated.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          This is really painful. Watching all these different groups trying to replicate, in varying degrees of success, something which is conceptually flawed.

We don't need flash. We don't need closed flash, we don't need open flash, we don't need ANY flash. It doesn't DO ANYTHING USEFUL.

I think it would make a lot more sense for all of those developers wasting their time and effort on replicating this flash garbage to put their effort into building REPLACEMENTS for existing web flash content -- for free. They could actually contribute to CLEANSING the world of this TRASH rather than increasing the support for it and prolonging the agony.

Flash needs to be ELIMINATED.
          I agree, if Flash and Apple (not necessarily in this order) would disappear from this world, I'd be the happiest man alive.

Comment

Did you know...
            ... that the iPhone has a YouTube player?
            ... that http://m.youtube.com doesn't use flash but a lightweight mpeg-like codec? (right click watch video to download it!)
            ... that with a YouTube plugin you can search/browse YouTube vids with Totem and also get the related vids listed?
            ... that flash sucked?
            ... that most website have a cheap workaround in case flash is not detected?

I didn't install flash after I installed Fedora and after a month I realised that I didn't miss anything. It is just a habit to have Flash but once you kicked of cold turkey, you realise that there's nothing you'll miss after you found workarounds or other websites that provide you with exactly the same...

Steve Jobs isn't a prophet, but he sure as hell is the kickstart that was needed to start getting rid of closed web tech that was not needed in the first place!

Comment

Everyone is taking about flash for video.
              I'm really the one that plays flash games? Dozens of games are created everyday. We need an opensource flash player for preserving these pieces of art, in the same way programs like ScummVM preserve old DOS adventure games.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Also YouTube had a pretty okay-ish HTML5-Option running earlier this year but it wasn't updated and doesn't work reliable anymore
                Since embedding GNOME-MPlayer into YouTube the site works better than ever for me. Just be sure to chose Player: Generic in the prefs.

Originally posted by tomm3h View Post
                Because Adobe only employs people who have no skill, but a big mouth.
                Using OpenGL would also help under Mac OS X, but instead of just implementing it, looks for scapegoats all over the place.

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Did you know...
                ... that http://m.youtube.com doesn't use flash but a lightweight mpeg-like codec?
                YouTube Mobile uses normal MPEG-4 AVC for its videos not something like MPEG.

Comment

Michael,

Could you take a little time to test the various oss-flash alternatives to Adobe, from performance point of view but also compatibility (google maps, YouTube, Deezer, etc.)?

This could be interesting to know which one can be the best to replace flash.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                    YouTube Mobile uses normal MPEG-4 AVC for its videos not something like MPEG.
                    I thought it used the 3GP file container format, hence the *.3gp , meaning the 3G Part, designed for mobile networks...

MPEG-AVC is the h.264 container format... which is the 14 part...

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                      Install the "Youtube without Flash Auto" GreaseMonkey script and GNOME-MPlayer's Mozilla plugin.
                      Flash-free YouTube rocks.
                      Does the video start playing immediately or you have to wait for the download to finish?

Comment

Working...
                      X