Linux Kernel Exploit Affecting Linux 3.3 To Linux 3.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
    ok, but seriously...someone should implement a background garbage collector and some meta-error handling in C and C++. That'd get rid of those 'security holes' instantely.
    And replace them with a whole bunch of new ones.

The idea that garbage collection magically solves all your security problems is laughable.

Comment

Sometimes when I boot up Linux, look at it and ask myself how it is even possible that such a large amount of C code, cludged together by many different people, just...works.
      i do hope you are not an employee (developer) at something safty relevant.
      That's mostly the time when my XServer decides to forget my graphic card or some other weird thing happens.
      as if c#, java or anything else coded always works 100% perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
        And replace them with a whole bunch of new ones.

The idea that garbage collection magically solves all your security problems is laughable.
        I think you're on to something; otherwise, Java would be the most secure software around

Besides, garbage collection is always after data/variables are used; it certainly won't compact a single input that's large enough to cause an overflow on the first pass (which is the issue here).

However, it is worth pointing out that the previous poster also said "...and some meta-error handling...". I think that's the more important part.
        Last edited by Ibidem; 28 February 2013, 06:42 PM.

Comment

kernel language

For what it's worth, Windows NT's kernel and OS X's kernel are also written in C.. It really is the best language to write a kernel, because it's very low, but not assembly.
          On the other hand, it's way too low to be optimal to use for anything above kernel.

Comment

local user

local

LOCAL

LOCAL

in windows u have to worry about REMOTE

get it fagozors

Comment

they should port the whole kernel to C#/.NET. There you got a nice garbage collector and don't have to worry about strange things like pointers and a buffer/memoryoverflow get's a nice exception.

ok, but seriously...someone should implement a background garbage collector and some meta-error handling in C and C++. That'd get rid of those 'security holes' instantely.
              A GC in C++ defeats a large reason for using the language.
              Also, many people just don't want to deal with a GC. Realtime apps still put far too much pressure on modern GC.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                local user
                ‏Hint: LAMP.
                Refer to my earlier "remove all doubt" post.

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                X