AMD A6-3400M not working on Linux kernel 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    I should clarify that I was talking about the open source drivers. Laptop works fine with fglrx in Ubuntu 11.04 and probably will in Ubuntu 11.10. The problem is that I can't even install ubuntu 11.10 using the desktop live dvd since it tries to use the open source drivers and no display comes up. Will try with beta 2 dvd that was released recently.
    You can add radeon.modeset=0 to the kernel command-line: press a key at the 'automatic boot in X seconds', and then press E.
    Then you'll boot with vesa and you're able to install Ubuntu. You may have to repeat this after install the first time, before installing fglrx. Here you can hold Shift to see the boot menu if you don't have dual-boot.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      3.0 was the first kernel with llano GPU support in radeon. Presumably anything prior to that used vesa.
      It was my understanding that this is also happening to systems other than just Llano, although all Llano systems seem to be affected. Either way, Llano should be blacklisted from the FOSS driver until it's fixed, so it's still a regression, whether in the defaults or the driver itself.

I had a link to the actual bug report, but I can't find it now. It was some trivial little "fix 3% of the worlds displays, while simultaneously breaking 50% of the worlds displays" type commit that did it. I do not understand why the commit isn't being reverted yet...

Comment

Originally posted by nepwk View Post
        It was my understanding that this is also happening to systems other than just Llano, although all Llano systems seem to be affected. Either way, Llano should be blacklisted from the FOSS driver until it's fixed, so it's still a regression, whether in the defaults or the driver itself.
        Lots of llano systems work fine. There will always be problematic systems. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have one right now.

Originally posted by nepwk View Post
        I had a link to the actual bug report, but I can't find it now. It was some trivial little "fix 3% of the worlds displays, while simultaneously breaking 50% of the worlds displays" type commit that did it. I do not understand why the commit isn't being reverted yet...
        I don't know what bug you are talking about. If there was a patch that broke more cards than it fixed we would revert it.

Comment

Lots of llano systems work fine. There will always be problematic systems. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have one right now.

Do you have any timeframe for support of the llano ? I do have the same one that doesn't work (ati HD 6520 on a A6-3400M AMD processor) ...

I have installed an ubuntu 11.04 with fglrx drivers on another partition I dual boot. But my original system is a funtoo with 3.1-rc4 kernel, xorg 1.11 ... I can't use the closed drivers neither... They won't work with kernel 3.+ or xorg 1.8+... So I have to wait to proceed with my installation until I have a functional ATI driver (either closed or open).

That's infortunate because I have trashed Windows 7 because I want to be all Open Source.

Regards,

Bernard

Comment

I really doubt that many (if any) Llano systems work(unless the attached display is not using VGA). I have the aforementioned ASUS laptop, and I also have a desktop with a A6-3650 and a Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H, and it has the exact same problem. It's really easy to blame things like this on laptop ACPI quirks and such, but if 2 different machines on 2 different motherboards by 2 different manufacturers exhibit the exact same issue, it's a safe bet that this is widespread. If you can find me one single report of a Llano system's VGA out working properly in Linux 3.0, I'll eat my hat.

I don't know what bug you are talking about. If there was a patch that broke more cards than it fixed we would revert it.
            I remember that I actually saw it referenced in the kernel change logs for I believe either 3.0.1, 3.0.2, or 3.0.3(before kernel.org went down). The regression and the commit that caused it was mentioned, but there was a follow up commit which was supposed to fix it, but didn't. The commit didn't mention Llano specifically, it just made mention of VGA outs being broken, whereas HDMI and AFAIK DVI still working.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
              I should clarify that I was talking about the open source drivers. Laptop works fine with fglrx in Ubuntu 11.04 and probably will in Ubuntu 11.10. The problem is that I can't even install ubuntu 11.10 using the desktop live dvd since it tries to use the open source drivers and no display comes up. Will try with beta 2 dvd that was released recently.
              How well does it work when running on the battery? Is Linux able to turn off the discrete card? Is the discrete card used all of the time while plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by foxfire View Post
                How well does it work when running on the battery? Is Linux able to turn off the discrete card? Is the discrete card used all of the time while plugged in?
                No idea, never really tested such things. I mostly use it with the AC adapter plugged in. On battery seems to last 2.5 - 3 hours when not doing anything strenuous.

I'm actually using Catalyst 11.4 which does not identify the discrete graphics card, so only the integrated card is being used right now. I don't know if the discrete card is switched off.

I did do a clean install of Ubuntu 11.04 on another partition where I was able to install Catalyst 11.8 and discrete graphics card was mainly being used. There was an option in catalyst control center to use either integrated or discrete card.

Comment

Ubuntu 11.10 Beta2 doesn't work either (not that great a difference anyway). Guess I should try some other distro with newer versions of X,mesa etc. and see what happens.

Comment

Are we talking the open or closed driver?

Lots of llano systems work fine.
                    Just asking for clarification, does that include llano systems using the open-source driver? From reading the thread, it looks like some people talk about the closed driver, and some about the open one. I'm under the impression that your statement is accurate when talking about the closed driver.
                    I'm also that it is not accurate when talking about the open-source driver, at least not yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been trying myself to get the xf86-video-ati driver working on my new llano system, and that has failed. However, I'm typing this message using fglrx on the same llano system. If the system _should_ work with xf86-video-ati, then I should report a bug. Otherwise, I'll just wait a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by letharion View Post
                      Just asking for clarification, does that include llano systems using the open-source driver? From reading the thread, it looks like some people talk about the closed driver, and some about the open one. I'm under the impression that your statement is accurate when talking about the closed driver.
                      I'm also that it is not accurate when talking about the open-source driver, at least not yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                      agd5f is an open-source ATI driver developer so he'll know what he's talking about.

There are 7 types of Llano graphics sold at the moment. They use 2 codenames (WinterPark and BeaverCreek). Perhaps only one of those two codenames has failed with 3.0. Or only a couple of the 7 GPU's.

Comment

Working...
                      X