Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VP9 Codec Now Enabled By Default In Chrome

Phoronix: VP9 Codec Now Enabled By Default In Chrome

Google has just enabled their new, royalty-free VP9 video codec within their Chromium / Chrome web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is so important for me that I just MUST comment!
    I use WebM, VP8 (the previous version) and if youtube won't play the video for me in WebM in Chromium I just ./youtube-dl -tf it down and then open with Totem/VLC and just enjoy
    VP9 sounds cool. So what version of Chrome/Chromium? Must be dev version, right? Now I use 27.x.(which I got from Alex Shkop's ppa)
    Last edited by powdigsig; 17 June 2013, 09:52 AM. Reason: Hard to find PPA's that have fairly recent versions of chromium-browser

Comment

Good, but we can always hope that codec will be popular... and I doubt it will.

Comment

Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
        I use WebM, VP8 (the previous version) and if youtube won't play the video for me in WebM in Chromium I just ./youtube-dl -tf it down and then open with Totem/VLC and just enjoy
        I absolutely hate DRM platforms and that's why I'm doing exactly the same thing. This extension even makes it extremely convenient

Comment

i disable vp8 (and any later version) in my browser, because youtube serve only webm if the browser can decode this. On an slow cpu i want to use the gpu decoder, but thats impossible wit vpX.

Comment

I am curious, has any hardware manufacturer announced to support VP9 using hardware video decoding?
            Otherwise, although interesting, the use of VP9 in practice will surely be as limited as VP8 was.

Comment

After the whole VP8 vs h264 debate last time, has anyone answered the question "Is VP9 better than h264?"

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                After the whole VP8 vs h264 debate last time, has anyone answered the question "Is VP9 better than h264?"
                I'll bet on "No, you are blatantly wrong for saying VP9 is superior to H.264.".

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  I'll bet on "No, you are blatantly wrong for saying VP9 is superior to H.264.".
                  Who cares as long as it is good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                    Who cares as long as it is good enough.
                    yeah but is it ? is it at least close the h264? (quality, size, compression speed, decompression speed) =p

Comment

Working...
                    X