Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Signs Of Wayland Running On Android

Phoronix: First Signs Of Wayland Running On Android

A developer for Collabora has been bringing Wayland and the reference Weston compositor to Google's Android mobile Linux platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Google has been... ensuring that the Chrome/Chromium web-browser will be well-supported natively on Wayland."

By completely removing all Wayland support on 2012-04-07?

Comment

What's the objective of running wayland on something that once ran Android?
      I.e., what you end up with here is....
      hardware --> kernel --> display driver --> wayland --> ??? --> acid trip --> profit
      instead of...
      hardware --> kernel --> display driver --> android

Note: It is no longer Android once you replace Android with wayland....

Comment

pekka i have a question (since i know you participate here from time to time)

is this work purely a collabora project or they have been contracted by someone else to do that???

Comment

Originally posted by Darxus View Post
          "Google has been... ensuring that the Chrome/Chromium web-browser will be well-supported natively on Wayland."

By completely removing all Wayland support on 2012-04-07?
          OMG why? (stupid character limit)
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Name complaints

People MOAN and COMPLAIN about code names for one-shot projects, but HERE we have two projects, Weston and Wayland, which are NOT temporary for releases, but the actual permanent names of the projects.

If you are familiar with the namesake towns in Eastern Massachusetts, you will understand RIGHT AWAY how STUPID it was to name these Free Technologies for Everyman, after these towns. These towns are the Scourge of Massachusetts, they think that their trees and water and air and sunshine belong to THEMSELVES and no others. They are the ONLY towns in Massachusetts that have declined to take part in the Eastern Massachusetts Bikeway, and so GREAT PAINS have had to be taken to re-route the trail to deal with these SNOOTY RICH PEOPLE who don't want those criminals with their bicycles invading their town.

The FOOLS were taken in by studies showing that bicycle trails attract crime but NEGLECTED to notice that ABANDONED RAILROAD tracks attract EVEN MORE crime!

Why not names these technologies after hard working blue collar Massachusetts towns like Townsend or Gardner.

BEEFY MIRACLE will soon and shortly forgotten but these terrible names will be with us for a long time.

I must add that in all my years and thousands of miles of bicycling in many states that the ONLY time I have ever had something thrown at me from a moving car was in Weston.
            Last edited by frantaylor; 27 April 2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
              People MOAN and COMPLAIN about code names for one-shot projects, but HERE we have two projects, Weston and Wayland, which are NOT temporary for releases, but the actual permanent names of the projects.
              You know nobody in a position to do anything about this is going to read it here, right?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                What's the objective of running wayland on something that once ran Android?
                I.e., what you end up with here is....
                hardware --> kernel --> display driver --> wayland --> ??? --> acid trip --> profit
                instead of...
                hardware --> kernel --> display driver --> android

It makes it possible to test wayland-apps on android right now? That's useful if we eventually get a more direct wayland path on android (or plain linux on the same hardware), since it means we'll have slightly better-tested software available. It also makes it possible to run wayland apps on top of android, if you should want that (sort of like why you might want an X server in MacOS X).

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  That sounds about equivalent to you reading "First Signs Of Wayland Running On Linux" and saying "It's no longer Linux once you replace Linux with wayland."

Doesn't make any sense.

He didn't replace Android with Wayland. He replaced Android's UI with Wayland, much like Wayland is being made to work in place of X on Linux. And similarly, I'd guess the plan is to make Android's UI work through Wayland as X works through Wayland. Or maybe modify Android to do all its output directly through Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
                    It makes it possible to test wayland-apps on android right now? That's useful if we eventually get a more direct wayland path on android (or plain linux on the same hardware), since it means we'll have slightly better-tested software available. It also makes it possible to run wayland apps on top of android, if you should want that (sort of like why you might want an X server in MacOS X).
                    I'm not really sure how it's possible to get a more direct than Weston drawing directly to the framebuffer as it does now.

Comment

Working...
                    X