NVIDIA Gets Happy, Puts Out Two New Blobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    The big enterprise customers. nVidia does not target their GNU/Linux drivers for desktop users.
    Why would they bugfix openoffice then? fglrx targeted workstations as well and still it is non-comparable on desktop to nvidia.

Comment

I'm not going to be unfair about a couple of reasonable bugs in comparison, however what were some saying again about that non-crashing quality of the nVidia drivers?

It sounds a little like Apple fanboys when they say that Macs never crash and don't get malware.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        Why would they bugfix openoffice then? fglrx targeted workstations as well and still it is non-comparable on desktop to nvidia.
        Many workstations have office suites. And anyway nVidia is not evil, they do fix an occasional bug for the desktop. What they lack is focus on desktop user oriented features such as profiles, optimus etc.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          I'm not going to be unfair about a couple of reasonable bugs in comparison, however what were some saying again about that non-crashing quality of the nVidia drivers?

It sounds a little like Apple fanboys when they say that Macs never crash and don't get malware.
          I have been using 260 core 216 since two days with 270.41.06 under KDE4 composite and games. I found small bug in overclocking tab however (I actually downclocked the card in 2D). Not single crash, even after leaving the machine for 12 hours running. Opensource driver(amd opensource driver with 4770) however caused kernel panics periodically over the year of usage and had strange kde4 bugs (apart from composite being very sluggish, but I guess they fixed that with SVG you mentioned in earlier posts).

So, well, I can use the card features. Not very energy efficient vendor though.
          Last edited by crazycheese; 20 May 2011, 05:47 PM. Reason: not noveau

Comment

Many workstations have office suites. And anyway nVidia is not evil, they do fix an occasional bug for the desktop. What they lack is focus on desktop user oriented features such as profiles, optimus etc.
            That would be desktop or gaming stations then, wine etc run best on nvidia for years.
            I think that they need to go into communication with community, they seriously lack linux pr(other word for lies ). Yes, and they screwed with optimus hard and screwed opengl on 4xx+ series. But the blob at least works very good.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              That would be desktop or gaming stations then, wine etc run best on nvidia for years.
              I think that they need to go into communication with community, they seriously lack linux pr(other word for lies ). Yes, and they screwed with optimus hard and screwed opengl on 4xx+ series. But the blob at least works very good.
              Officially nVidia does not consider the GNU/Linux desktop to be significant, I hope this will change.

Except for bugs and some lacking features, nVidia really does offer good enterprise quality drivers, and this is good for us desktop users (including gamers) as well. The performance is on par with the Windows drivers, and we need to remember the Windows drivers are far from bug free as well. If nVidia start focusing on the desktop as well, I think their drivers would quickly become even better.

What did nVidia screw up with OpenGL on GeForce 4xx+? My MSI N580GTX TwinFrozr II/OC works very well in Ubuntu 10.10 with 260.19.44, 260.19.06 did however create some interesting "effects" during load. Compared to fglrx, developing with nVidia drivers works very well, even though some driver versions have annoying bugs.

Comment

Officially nVidia does not consider the GNU/Linux desktop to be significant, I hope this will change.

Except for bugs and some lacking features, nVidia really does offer good enterprise quality drivers, and this is good for us desktop users (including gamers) as well. The performance is on par with the Windows drivers, and we need to remember the Windows drivers are far from bug free as well. If nVidia start focusing on the desktop as well, I think their drivers would quickly become even better.
                They currently miss serious SLI support, multimonitor support and rotated monitor accelerated support. This is all. This is hardly preventing to call the drivers "linux desktop certified", though I suggest they earn more on quadro sells than geforce for linux sells.

What did nVidia screw up with OpenGL on GeForce 4xx+?
                Here, section OpenGL problems.
                Last edited by crazycheese; 20 May 2011, 06:50 PM. Reason: mistakes, misspells and equal errors...

Comment

That's not poor OpenGL performance, it also affected DirectX 9 and was a driver bug(s).

Comment

That's not poor OpenGL performance, it also affected DirectX 9 and was a driver bug(s).
                    Was a bug? Affected directx? Any proof or links? I have understood something quite different.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                      The NVIDIA blob has had KMS support for a long, long time. Much longer the the OSS drivers. It also supports running X as a normal user. If NVIDIA were to switch the blob to use the same method of acceleration as the OSS drivers, it would set them back years in terms of reliability, performance, and image quality.
                      You're joking right ... ? The NVIDIA blob does not supports KMS and it never has, in fact only OSS drivers support KMS at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X