(**) Extension "Composite" is enabled
    (**) AIGLX enabled
    (II) Loading extension GLX
    (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
    (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
    	compiled for 7.1.0, module version = 8.42.3
    	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
    (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so
    Compiz return:
    Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing

Comment

compiz + fglrx 8.42.3 problem

Same problem here:
      Ubuntu 7.10
      Kernel 2.6.22.14
      ATI Mobility Radeon X300 (OEM Dell)
      fglrx driver 8.42.3

/var/log/Xorg.0.log looks fine and fgl-glxgears and glxgears run like a charm - about 150% faster than with the open source driver i previously used.

glxinfo displays GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in both the "server" and the "client" sections but NOT the "GLX Extensions" section. locally compiled compiz-0.6.2 complains about this and does not start.

Please help!

Comment

Setting the env variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true makes Compiz work.

Not perfectly: windows have no border, and OpenGL programs seem to give a white window instead of the proper output. Maybe some more tinkering will give the expected result?

Comment

Setting the env variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true NOT work for me!

Comment

Originally posted by giaco View Post
            Setting the env variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true NOT work for me!
            Even if it would start you really don't want all the processing done by the cpu (which is what indirect rendering means -> no hardware acceleration). You really want direct rendering with AIGLX which is somehow not supported by the current driver 8.42.3. Check the output of 'glxinfo'. You'll see that 'GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap' is missing under 'GLX extensions' -> check first posting of this thread

Comment

Originally posted by pm_64 View Post
              Even if it would start you really don't want all the processing done by the cpu (which is what indirect rendering means -> no hardware acceleration). You really want direct rendering with AIGLX which is somehow not supported by the current driver 8.42.3. Check the output of 'glxinfo'. You'll see that 'GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap' is missing under 'GLX extensions' -> check first posting of this thread
              As far as I know, indirect rendering does NOT mean software rendering, but only that the rendering commands are passed through the X server. This makes the whole thing a bit slower than direct rendering, but it's probably still hardware accelerated. After all AIGLX = Accelerated Indirect GLX.

Comment

Originally posted by ambro814 View Post
                As far as I know, indirect rendering does NOT mean software rendering, but only that the rendering commands are passed through the X server. This makes the whole thing a bit slower than direct rendering, but it's probably still hardware accelerated. After all AIGLX = Accelerated Indirect GLX.
                I think you are wrong there. Indirect rendering is synonymous with software/slow rendering [1]. Maybe this will be completed in 8.43

References:
                [1] Accelerated Indirect GLX, Kristian H?gsberg, XDevConf, 9 Feb 2006, http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/aiglx.pdf (page 4)
                Last edited by pm_64; 29 October 2007, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pm_64 View Post
                  I think you are wrong there. Indirect rendering is synonymous with software/slow rendering [1]. Maybe this is already fixed in 8.43

References:
                  [1] Accelerated Indirect GLX, Kristian H?gsberg, XDevConf, 9 Feb 2006, http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/aiglx.pdf (page 4)
                  You don't know what you're reading. What you said was *before* AIGLX. AIGLX is what allows you do do hardware accelerated indirect rendering. I suggest you read a few pages further ...
                  In an AIGLX enabled server, try running "glxgears" and "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 glxgears" and compare fps. Indirect will be maybe only 70% performance, but stil hardware accelerated.
                  Last edited by ambro814; 29 October 2007, 03:08 PM.

Comment

You don't know what you're reading. What you said was *before* AIGLX. AIGLX is what allows you do do hardware accelerated indirect rendering. I suggest you read a few pages further ...
                    What do you think is the reason for the compiz script to check for direct rendering support and after the check fails to fall back to indirect rendering? Is that for the use with XGL?

# Check whether the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension is available in
                    # direct or indirect rendering contexts. If it is available only in indirect
                    # rendering contexts, force compiz to use indirect rendering.
                    Btw I only disproved your statement:
                    As far as I know, indirect rendering does NOT mean software rendering, but only that the rendering commands are passed through the X server.
                    If you know more regarding the topic of this thread please tell us. Currently it is far too slow to be useful. With XGL it worked flawlessly with low cpu usage.
                    Last edited by pm_64; 29 October 2007, 03:19 PM.

Comment

In an AIGLX enabled server, try running "glxgears" and "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 glxgears" and compare fps. Indirect will be maybe only 70% performance, but stil hardware accelerated.
                      Yeah, 92% of the performance (process xorg takes 100% cpu load). Anyway, fact is cpu load is far to high with compiz based on AIGLX. Maybe some calculations are done on the gpu but it seems that's not enough. I haven't read anything about poor performance with the aiglx implementation of nvidia so i draw my conclusion maybe too fast. But I really hope it won't stay that way because fglrx 8.42.3 with compiz on aiglx is too slow to be useful and there are lots of people stating the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X