Fedora 17 Moves Forward With Unified File-System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliver View Post

Lie. Sure, in fedora it doesn't work, probably not in ubuntu either. But on my gentoo box, it works perfectly fine, to recover and repair the system of course, which what this split is for!! Even if my initramfs fails and i only have the kernel, I can still boot from half my raid1 and still repair my system!
    Already addressed in http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the....html#comments

It is not a lie. This wiki is written by Lennart who wrote Avahi, systemd and PulseAudio and is well aware of the issues and none of those are specific to Fedora which is why OpenSUSE is considering the move now as well Since you brought up FHS...

As co-editor of the last edition of the File Hierarchy Standard before it merged into the Linux Standard Base, I've been following the discussion about combining the directories  /bin, /sbin and /lib into /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and /usr/lib respectively.  You can follow it too, via the LWN discussion. To summarize, there are two sides to the debate.  The "pro" side points out: Nothing will really change for users, as symlinks will make old stuff still work. There are precedents in Solaris and Fedora. The weak reasonings used previously to separate / and /usr no longer apply. Separate /usr has become increasingly unsupported anyway. Moving to /usr will enable genuine R/O root filesystem sharing. The "anti" side, however, raises very salient points: Lennart Poettering supports it. Lennart Poettering is an asshole. Fellow Anti-mergers, I understand the pain and anguish that systemd has caused you personally, and your families.  Your hopes and dreams crushed, by someone with all the charm of a cheese grater across the knuckles.  Your remaining life tainted by this putrescent subhuman who forced himself upon your internet. Despite the privation we have all endured, please find strength to stop this nightmarish ravaging of our once-pure filesystems.  For if he's not stopped now, what hope for  /usr/sbin vs /usr/bin?

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      I think this is long overdue. The directory structure is a mess in Linux.

This model cleans it up a bit, improves compatibility, what more could you want?

Two thumbs up for fedora on this initiative

The beefy miracle sure seems to become beefy. Now only if they managed to squeeze BTRFS in there...
      The directory structure is well documented by the FHS and is not a mess. Distributions like Fedora tend to ignore it and mess it up. Small difference.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        Already addressed in http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the....html#comments

It is not a lie. This wiki is written by Lennart who wrote Avahi, systemd and PulseAudio and is well aware of the issues and none of those are specific to Fedora which is why OpenSUSE is considering the move now as well Since you brought up FHS...

http://rusty.ozlabs.org/?p=236
        Not quite sure how that related to the FHS. In any case, There's a g+ bit that asks to find broken distro's, instead of just trashin' everything in /usr, fix the broken distro's. Grats, you found a bug, lets see if we can fix those.

Comment

Not quite sure how that related to the FHS. In any case, There's a g+ bit that asks to find broken distro's, instead of just trashin' everything in /usr, fix the broken distro's. Grats, you found a bug, lets see if we can fix those.
          If you read the blog post, you would know the connection and who said, the distros are broken? The distros don't consider it a bug.

Comment

The directory structure is well documented by the FHS and is not a mess. Distributions like Fedora tend to ignore it and mess it up. Small difference.
            Wrong. Fedora is and always has been a active FHS proponent. When distributions change, FHS gets updated as you can see from the process happening.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              If you read the blog post, you would know the connection and who said, the distros are broken? The distros don't consider it a bug.
              I missread the test, but did read the blog post. But you are wrong. Some distro's concider it a bug, unfortunatly a very low priority one, but still a bug. https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=229661

I still think it be best to fix the distros and packages, to 'just forget why we split, and dump it all in /usr'. I agree however that this is the EASIER fix.

Comment

I missread the test, but did read the blog post. But you are wrong. Some distro's concider it a bug, unfortunatly a very low priority one, but still a bug. https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=229661

I still think it be best to fix the distros and packages, to 'just forget why we split, and dump it all in /usr'. I agree however that this is the EASIER fix.
                You have shown that someone bothered to file a bug report in a single distribution. This does not invalidate my claim since no action has been taken. I don't think any mainstream distribution is going to ever "fix it" by splitting /usr for the reasons stated in the wiki. The split is now considered effectively obsolete.

Comment

Is this approved by the fathers of Unix?

About this unified file system thing of moving /bin, /sbin, /lib and /lib64 into /usr/, I don't know if its a good idea or a bad idea.

What does Rob Pike, Ken Thompson, and Brian Kernighan think about this?'

The website mentions "Improved compatibility with other Unixes (in particular Solaris)", but what about BSD, HP-UX, IBM AIX, GNU, Mac OS X, and Plan 9 from Bell Labs?
                  The website mentions "Multiple other Linux distributions have been working in a similar direction." but does not mention any by name.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    About this unified file system thing of moving /bin, /sbin, /lib and /lib64 into /usr/, I don't know if its a good idea or a bad idea.

What does Rob Pike, Ken Thompson, and Brian Kernighan think about this?'

The website mentions "Improved compatibility with other Unixes (in particular Solaris)", but what about BSD, HP-UX, IBM AIX, GNU, Mac OS X, and Plan 9 from Bell Labs?
                    The website mentions "Multiple other Linux distributions have been working in a similar direction." but does not mention any by name.
                    Well, the naming convention was because of hardware limitations and hence I don't the original designers have anything against this move and it wouldn't matter much now anyway because Linux is not Unix and most proprietary Unix systems except for Solaris doesn't have any significiant marketshare worth bothering about. As for other Linux distributions, read http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/483921/704a07f93286f84e/

Comment

Working...
                    X