Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    As far as your troubles are concerned, you could set a good example for the newbies by going to the Ubuntu forums.
    I already have account on ubuntuforums.org, but I don't have a lot time to read every single new post. But if you pm me, I'll be happy to help as much as I could.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
      I already have account on ubuntuforums.org, but I don't have a lot time to read every single new post. But if you pm me, I'll be happy to help as much as I could.
      Much appreciated!
      *starts writing PM

Comment

you know, I really wonder where people get off with their expectations for Linux. Everyone says they want one that Just Works, but the definition of that isn't so simple. Just from this thread, here's what I gather:

They want all the brand new bells and whistles, they want all their programs on there out of the box, they want every multimedia codec known to man installed by default, they want a seemless ugrade path for when the NEXT great thing comes out. Oh, and it better be rock solid stable and the user better not have to do much more than input their name and password before they go.

Y'know, I'd like all that, too. But I don't know where people get off expecting all that. Since they were brought up, I can see expting everything under the sun from a Mac. For how much they cost, there's no excuse otherwise.

But I'm willing to bet most of the desktop Linux users came from the Windows camp. Have any of you guys complaining installed Windows yourselves? Do you remember how incomplete it was out of the box? How unstable it was if you did an upgrade rather than a fresh install? Whenever I had to install Windows on one of my machines, it was usually an all-weekend affair. And that's if I didn't forget anything.

Should Linux be better than that? Of course. But if it's not in your particular case.... what, you're going to go back to the other option? that has the same problems with higher cost and less freedom? Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
          They want all the brand new bells and whistles, they want all their programs on there out of the box, they want every multimedia codec known to man installed by default, they want a seemless ugrade path for when the NEXT great thing comes out. Oh, and it better be rock solid stable and the user better not have to do much more than input their name and password before they go.
          Indeed, we want impossible. Since I'm an amateur programmer too, I know that it is impossible to make a perfect piece of software.

But when you criticize the bugs with other people on some forum, it's a lot easier to get over them .
          It's the same when your girlfriend cheats on you. It's easier to get over it when you talk about that, rather than keep everything inside you.

Comment

Working...
          X