Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 7.7.1 & 7.8.0 Released For Open-Source 3D

Phoronix: Mesa 7.7.1 & 7.8.0 Released For Open-Source 3D

Ian Romanick has just released the 7.7.1 and 7.8.0 versions of the Mesa3D open-source OpenGL stack with the DRI/Gallium3D drivers. As planned, this release is coming right on time for the end of March with Intel preparing to make its quarterly Linux graphics driver update and there is also the release of X Server 1.8 coming in the near future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Boring... is the 3D performance going to stay frozen like this for the next 10 years to follow?

Comment

Does anyone know what the plans for Debian are w.r.t. Mesa and Gallium3d and kernel drm and nouveau and alike?

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
        Boring... is the 3D performance going to stay frozen like this for the next 10 years to follow?
        I'm sure that thanks to your coding efforts, we'll soon see a huge rise of Mesa performance. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          Jiiippiiee thank you very much opensource driver team!!!!!

Mesa7.9 dreams come true :-)

mesa8 will be the biggest bang ever :-)

how cares abaut openGL4 in the fglrx? no app and no game for openGL4 everywere!

if the first games or apps comes for openGL3 the opensource driver will have openGL3 support!

Mesa8 means for me...... Delete FGLRX.......
          Seriously?!? I am all for Mesa beating the crap out of FGLRX, but I think you are a bit lost... There is already apps for OpenGL 3 and soon 4. Unigine for example. OpenGL 4 apps will be amazing, and FGLRX already supports them! OGL 4 provides 4 times the amount of possible tesselation of OGL 3. It all translates to more realism. Come to think of it, FGLRX is the FIRST driver to have OpenGL 4 support, not Nvidia for once...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            Seriously?!? I am all for Mesa beating the crap out of FGLRX, but I think you are a bit lost... There is already apps for OpenGL 3 and soon 4. Unigine for example. OpenGL 4 apps will be amazing, and FGLRX already supports them! OGL 4 provides 4 times the amount of possible tesselation of OGL 3. It all translates to more realism. Come to think of it, FGLRX is the FIRST driver to have OpenGL 4 support, not Nvidia for once...
            the thing with those fancy new features is, that either your hardware isnt capable of them, or if it is, it is way to slow.
            and if neither of the two is true, then you are one of the lucky 0,00001% pc owners with this hardware

Comment

Actually, if you have a Radeon HD 2xxx or newer, you can run up to OpenGL 3.3. If you have a Radeon HD 5xxx, you can run OpenGL 4.0.

Comment

I'd say the difference between OGL 3 and 4 is smaller than between 2 and 3. Take that with a big grain of salt though as it's coming from someone who's never worked with OpenGL.

But if you look only at the release dates of the two specs, it should be true.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                  I'm sure that thanks to your coding efforts, we'll soon see a huge rise of Mesa performance. Right?
                  Good one.

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                  the thing with those fancy new features is, that either your hardware isnt capable of them, or if it is, it is way to slow.
                  and if neither of the two is true, then you are one of the lucky 0,00001% pc owners with this hardware
                  Not true. The tessellation is actually very fast compared to other techniques which try to simulate it (e.g. parallax occlusion mapping which produces worse results and is 10 times slower, yet still considered one of the best techniques for older hardware).

-Marek

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    Wow, enormously clever. I knew someone like you would come up with that kind of response.

Comment

Working...
                    X