Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features To Look Forward To In GNOME 3.12

Phoronix: Features To Look Forward To In GNOME 3.12

GNOME 3.12 is gearing up to be released tomorrow, so here's a recap of features to look forward to with this next major GNOME desktop update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really looking forward to GNOME 3.12 once it's available for Arch Linux. I'm happy that I switched from Ubuntu to Arch about a month ago even though I still have a love for Unity (HUD being the one but I don't think it will support the GtkHeaderBar widget that does away with the titlebar -- it would be nice if Google Chrome could take advantage of them and still have borders and shadows behind them). I like the look of the new GEdit 3.12, GNOME Boxes (very cool), and GNOME Videos. I've never came across Broadway, which is suited for tablets but I only have Nexus 7 with Android 4.4 which I can't replace due to investment in Android ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Q: How many features did Gnome remove?
      A: Fewer than KDE.

Q: How many features did Gnome add?
      A: A ton more than KDE.
      At this speed, they will reach parity in about 50 years :P

Comment

What's the point behind Gnome spending resources on things like Web, Map, and Boxes? Wouldn't it be better to utilize those resources to work on more important tasks like completing the Wayland transition for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Honton
          There is no reason to be silent about facts.
          Biased facts you mean...

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            What's the point behind Gnome spending resources on things like Web, Map, and Boxes? Wouldn't it be better to utilize those resources to work on more important tasks like completing the Wayland transition for example?
            Volunteer contributions are not fungible.

People work on what they wish.

There is no GNOME CEO to tell people to work on wayland stuff.

Comment

So what's wrong with open source? People do what they like to do to impress others coming from other operating systems or desktop environments.

People take existing applications and beautify it to make it their own. Make it so it works consistently with their desktop environment, which is what I like!

Comment

Q: How many features did Gnome remove?
                A: Fewer than KDE.

Q: How many features did Gnome add?
                A: A ton more than KDE.
                Does it really matter? The only thing I wish I could do in KDE is middle click a window list item to close it, I liked that in Cinnamon. Gnome 3's workspace management is kinda neat, automatically creating and destroying them as needed, but I only ever use two.

Comment

The point behind Web? Firefox announced ads in new tabs, and I don't like Chromium. With Web version 3.12 and multiple process support, it will be on par with Firefox's speed, so I think I am going to switch definitely. I addition, I totally agree with their conception of interface: minimalism is a must for a web browser.
                  The point behind Maps, well, do you have another Linux OpenStreetMap client to recommend?
                  Finally, Boxes is hands down the most usable GUI for Qemu.

I don't say that they are the best software ever coded in the galaxy, or the most useful ever, but I really find an interest in them, and I use them from time to time.

Comment

Well it matter to a lot of people. At least it mattered when it was the other way around.
                    Another baseless claim.

Comment

Working...
                    X