New RadeonHD driver and 3870 x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RadeonHD driver and 3870 x2

I am new with radeonhd driver and I just want to know is it possible to get 3D support on radeon hd 3870 x2 with new radeonhd driver , I really need 3D support for my card on linux...thanks

The RadeonHD (or any other open-source R500/600 driver) doesn't yet support full 3D... It won't be for a few months for R500 and even longer for R600. If you need 3D your only choice right now is the Catalyst "fglrx" driver.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

But in ATI release notes for new driver says:

Note: The ATI Radeon? HD 3870x2 series of product is currently not supported by the ATI Catalyst? Linux software suite

pfff, ok

Comment

Originally posted by gotthard View Post
        But in ATI release notes for new driver says:

Note: The ATI Radeon? HD 3870x2 series of product is currently not supported by the ATI Catalyst? Linux software suite

pfff, ok
        It'll still work as a plain HD 3870.... Meaning that instead of using both chips it'll only use one chip. But at least it'll still work.

Comment

I tried with fglrx and I always get this error message

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:0) found
          (EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
          no screens found

Comment

Please show:

lspci -n|grep 0300:

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Please show:

lspci -n|grep 0300:
              04:00.0 0300: 1002:950f

Comment

You could try adding a

ChipID 0x9501

override in the Device section and add your 950F in fglrxko_pci_ids.h - this file is pretty simple. Maybe you get it working then just with unsupported ATI watermark. A more brutal way would be changing fglrx_drv.so

sed -i 's/0x9501/0x950F/' fglrx_drv.so

But I guess you need to patch the other header file too, if you want it easy use the same sed command on it. If you are really lucky that works... 0x9501 is standard 3870.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthard View Post
                  I tried with fglrx and I always get this error message

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:0) found
                  (EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
                  no screens found
                  Or check what version of the driver you are trying to use.. I have a plain old 3870 and it gave me the same error when I tried it, but then I updated the drivers to the newest version and it started working.

Comment

Maybe ATI has internal drivers for that card, but the official ones do not support this PCI ID.

Comment

Working...
                    X