Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A NVIDIA Tegra 2 DRM/KMS Driver Tips Up

Phoronix: A NVIDIA Tegra 2 DRM/KMS Driver Tips Up

Besides a binary driver update from the GeForce/Quadro camp coming out today, a basic DRM/KMS driver for NVIDIA's ARM-based Tegra 2 SOC has appeared this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi Michael. You mentioned nouveau in this article. But have you read their FAQ entry on Tegras already?

Comment

That sounds quite different then the nVidia I know. Sure, it's a 3rd party doing the work. And yes it doesn't do 3D (yet?) But still, quite surprised never the less.

I do hope however that AMD releases a nice SoC in the future, arm based ideally using an older GPU of theirs which could be lower power, enough performing and maybe even (re-)use r300g, r600g drivers. Ahhh one can dream.

Comment

Michael, do you mean turns up?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
          Michael, do you mean turns up?
          Maybe he likes ice fishing? In April...

It sounds like Nvidia is much more open to an open source driver on their Tegra line which doesn't have to share code with their Windows desktop driver. That's at least comforting, and may eventually give insights into the desktop hardware if they start to converge in design in the future (from the little bits they're fairly different in underlying architecture).

Comment

I think they're rather opening up things because a big corporate customer asked them to do so - this also seems to be the case from the article.

Comment

Are there any news on this? Any progress? What about Tegra3? Could nouveau be used for 3d or is stuff too different?

Comment

Working...
              X