Chromium Browser Going Through Growing Pains In Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Having autosuggestions on by default, and in such a way that normal URLs get sent... Also, Firefox takes action so that the phishing protection cannot be used to track you as easily as in Chrom*.
    Firefox has Google auto-suggestions on by default. I'm not aware in differences in how it makes use of the Google anti-malware/anti-phishing API, so you elaborate on what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by strcat View Post
      Chromium (and the proprietary Chrome build) is the *only* Linux browser with an up-to-date Flash player.
      Of course, only idiots build sites that rely on Flash, particularly now it doesn't work on most tablets. It should just die.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
        Of course, only idiots build sites that rely on Flash, particularly now it doesn't work on most tablets. It should just die.
        The sad fact is that Flash used to be quite useful, so many sites were written with it. Many people are stuck with Flash to do online banking, university course selection or whatever other stuff it was used for. It makes sense to have a secure, sandboxed version like the PPAPI Flash and eventually Shumway rather than trusting Adobe's terrible code to be secure.

Comment

Chrome is just a build of Chromium with a different icon and some code to report the install location if it wasn't downloaded from Google. Chromium has no spying or mandatory data reporting to Google, although it does have optional features like auto-suggestion and phishing/malware protection talking to Google servers, just like Firefox.

Pepper flash is at v13 instead of being stuck at 11.2, and is fully sandboxed due to being a PNaCl application. It works just fine with Chromium, as does the PDF plugin, so I don't really understand why anyone is complaining.
          Chrome is not opensource, how do you know what it contains?

Comment

lol

Originally posted by abral View Post

who cares?, you use facebook? or g+? or have a cellphone?

Comment

Originally posted by abral View Post
              Closed-source does not mean it's entirely opaque. More than one person has compared a clean Chromium build with the Chrome binary to identify exactly what it is that they add when building beyond the closed-source PPAPI plugin shared objects.

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
              who cares?, you use facebook? or g+? or have a cellphone?
              I care. Luckily for me, the basis of the proprietary Chrome builds is an open-source project, and using Chromium also has the advantage of being able to build it against a few newer library versions.
              Last edited by strcat; 16 April 2014, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Chromium (and the proprietary Chrome build) is the *only* Linux browser with an up-to-date Flash player. Pretending that Flash is somehow being lost here is misrepresenting what is happening. The Google Talk Plugin is also already a Pepper plugin, so the major loss here is going to be Java applets.
                I didn't say flash is being lost, I said many other things will be lost: all media plugins except flash, which somehow don't get any attention as if flash is the only game in town. I am not talking about just java applets either. Try for examples quicktime and windows player plugiins. Also people who use pipelight for netflix won't be able to any more.

I also made the point that Youtube should be a non issue because you can access it even without flash anyway, in more than one way.

Please read carefully before you accuse me of misrepresentation.
                Last edited by kmod; 16 April 2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmod View Post
                  I didn't say flash is being lost, I said many other things will be lost: all media plugins except flash, which somehow don't get any attention as if flash is the only game in town. I am not talking about just java applets either. Try for examples quicktime and windows player plugiins. Also people who use pipelight for netflix won't be able to any more.

I also made the point that Youtube should be a non issue because you can access it even without flash anyway, in more than one way.

Please read carefully before you accuse me of misrepresentation.
                  NPAPI is only being disabled on Linux for the time being, not on OS X and Windows. This is because the NPAPI support on Linux uses GTK2 and they have no interest in adding support to Aura only to rip it out next year.

Netflix does have an HTML/JS player via a binary EME DRM module (+ Media Source Extensions and the Web Cryptography API) that works in IE11. Chrome will support EME, and as far as I know an enterprising user could get it working just like the Pepper Flash and PDF plugins.

Comment

Chrome is just a build of Chromium with a different icon and some code to report the install location if it wasn't downloaded from Google. Chromium has no spying or mandatory data reporting to Google, although it does have optional features like auto-suggestion and phishing/malware protection talking to Google servers, just like Firefox.

Pepper flash is at v13 instead of being stuck at 11.2, and is fully sandboxed due to being a PNaCl application. It works just fine with Chromium, as does the PDF plugin, so I don't really understand why anyone is complaining.
                    But chromium IS a botnet too...

Comment

I'm not aware in differences in how it makes use of the Google anti-malware/anti-phishing API, so you elaborate on what you mean?
                      When the phishing DB reports a hit, the hash of the url is sent to Google. Now, the difference is that FF also sends many fake hashes to hide your real destination in the noise. Chrom* only sends the real one. Which makes it trivial to track you if you use Chrom*.

I couldn't find a reference with a quick google, but it was on several mozilla blogs. Google obviously complained about it (extra traffic).

Comment

Working...
                      X