No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 13.6 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my 7850 with 3.9.4 kernel performance all round is greatly improved.

In cgminer I am getting about 15Mh/s more with identical settings as per 13.4 drivers.
    In World of Warcraft under wine there as about 10-20fps more on average.
    Native games already ran fine before so i am not noticing a difference.

Tearing I was seeing in VLC/Youtube seems to be gone.

Comment

i'm still cant use discrete graphic with this driver release.. i'm using Ubuntu 13.04 and linux mint 15, both of them cant use discrete, but when i install in Ubuntu 12.10 it works perfectly
      my laptop use ATI Radeon HD 7670M Hybrid.. any suggestion why is this can happen? here is error log from Xorg.0.log

Code:
      [   896.539] (II) fglrx(0): Intel display surface mc addr for AMD: 9f083000
      [   896.539] (EE) fglrx(0): Map intel primary surface to user space failed!
      [   896.539] 
      Fatal server error:
      [   896.539] AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
      thanks

Comment

I found a work-around to resolve the lag in Source games.
        When I set my KWin compositor to not vsync, then the lag went away. Weird, as when I disable compositing, lag returns.
        So, maybe the source mouse lag is caused by the compositor?

That same "trick" resolved Firefox scrolling smoothness. It isn't as smooth as without compositing, but close enough for me not to care.

Comment

So I just wondered how the smoothness of everything is affected by cpufrec scaling.

When I set cpu governor to 'performance', everything goes buttery smooth...
          We really need a better default cpu governor.

Edit:
          So I read up on the ondemand docs, and eventually tried the following: (as root)
          echo 100 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor

This improved the smoothness of everything, whilst still allowing ondemand to do what it does best :-)
          A value of 10 for sampling_down_factor didn't resolve the smoothness for me. Also, adjusting the up_threshold didn't make anything smoother for me either.

I'm unsure how this affects battery life. I'll report if I notice a change.
          Last edited by grigi; 05 June 2013, 03:59 AM. Reason: extra information

Comment

Originally posted by arenaling View Post
            i'm still cant use discrete graphic with this driver release.. i'm using Ubuntu 13.04 and linux mint 15, both of them cant use discrete, but when i install in Ubuntu 12.10 it works perfectly
            my laptop use ATI Radeon HD 7670M Hybrid.. any suggestion why is this can happen? here is error log from Xorg.0.log

Code:
            [   896.539] (II) fglrx(0): Intel display surface mc addr for AMD: 9f083000
            [   896.539] (EE) fglrx(0): Map intel primary surface to user space failed!
            [   896.539] 
            Fatal server error:
            [   896.539] AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
            thanks
            Are you using SNA on the Intel Driver? Try UXA

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
              I found a work-around to resolve the lag in Source games.
              When I set my KWin compositor to not vsync, then the lag went away. Weird, as when I disable compositing, lag returns.
              So, maybe the source mouse lag is caused by the compositor?

That same "trick" resolved Firefox scrolling smoothness. It isn't as smooth as without compositing, but close enough for me not to care.
              In short: The lag happens in some places while having high fps. Motion blur and high resolution induce it. The problem is linked to the Fglrx driver. In-kernel threads get notable CPU usage during ...

If you can, use the R600g Open Source driver. For the best performance (constant 60 fps in Source games):

Code:
              R600_DEBUG=sb R600_LLVM=0 %command%

Comment

Sorry, on a laptop, I need the power management.
                Besides, I'm enjoying gaming on all the steam games I have right now, and they all run perfectly. So I really don't have a need to change right now.
                Oh, and I have a GCN aswell, to complicate changing even more :P

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                  Are you using SNA on the Intel Driver? Try UXA
                  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...eration_method
                  thank you so much, i have follow your links, by making 20-intel.conf but it still not work, i have research more and it seems i do it wrong..

i found link https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1068404 which is say edit xorg.conf to resolve it

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                    Sorry, on a laptop, I need the power management.
                    Besides, I'm enjoying gaming on all the steam games I have right now, and they all run perfectly. So I really don't have a need to change right now.
                    Oh, and I have a GCN aswell, to complicate changing even more :P
                    Just FYI you can run FGLRX and the radeon driver in tandem, at least with Gentoo, and I presume on other distributions as well. I don't run with the battery very much but if I absolutely need to I can boot up with FGLRX enabled.

Comment

Well, I use tend to suspend/resume my laptop, so it reboots about every month or so. Really, it isn't like FGLRX is hindering me to do what I need to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X