Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Loses Huge GPU Order Due To Linux Blob

Phoronix: NVIDIA Loses Huge GPU Order Due To Linux Blob

NVIDIA has lost an order of at least ten million graphics cards because their GeForce/Quadro driver is closed-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great!

As an owner of a Nvidia card, I think this is great!

Hopefully this will be an eye opener for Nvidia.
    Hopefully this will get stock holders to bitch at the management about stupid business decisions.

Hopefully AMD now puts more developers and more focus on their open source graphics device driver.
    Hopefully we get more contributers to the open source AMD device driver from China, maybe the Chinese government and/or schools.

Comment

does this mean the lemote YeeLoong 8133 is actually going to ship sometime soon?

Comment

If this is indeed true and confirmed, that's awesome.

Ten million graphics cards? I guess they don't do anything small in communist China...

Also it's absolutely awesome that they designed their own CPU and will be using the AMD open drivers on Linux/Xorg. That's a gigantic boost in our userbase that should make everyone generally more aware of the open source graphics drivers (but especially in the Far East).

I wonder if they implemented some kind of spyware into the hardware of their MIPS chips China may be pro open-source, but they're definitely not pro-freedom and are very tough on people who criticize their government, whether or not they intend to act against the government or just whine and complain.

Anyway, fuck you, Nvidia. I own graphics parts from all three vendors (all the mentioned chips are in operational systems somewhere within my immediate family's use):
        • Intel 945GM in laptop
        • Intel 965GM in laptop
        • Intel 3770K Ivy Bridge in desktop
        • Intel 3820QM Ivy Bridge in laptop
        • AMD Radeon HD5970 in desktop
        • AMD Radeon HD7970 in desktop
        • Nvidia GeForce 9800GT in desktop
        • Nvidia NVS 5400M in laptop

Out of all those parts, the best for running Linux with an untainted kernel are the two Ivy Bridge CPUs and the Radeon HD5970. Even with a tainted kernel the Nvidia binary runs like crap for me; the 2d rendering performance is awful, no KMS, inordinate maintenance burden when upgrading system, and it chews through a lot of power. That's not to say I prefer AMD fglrx over it, though

I think I'm going to include the phrase "fuck you, Nvidia" in every single post I write on Phoronix from now on.

Comment

Ha-ha, nVIDIA deserved that.

What a nice lesson for nvidia nuts. EPIC FAIL for nvidia -> EPIC WIN for AMD. Poor nvidia, they have to publish yet another useless press-release again, aren't they?

Comment

Not only could nvidia wake up.
            This could make AMD put more devs onto the OSS driver and finally get it on par with the blob!

Comment

Very interesting news,

Thank you!

Comment

Nearly a half billion dollars in AMD cards to run on Linux. That's going to buy and attract a lot of love for AMD open-source. I can't wait for this deal to kick off so that I may see the hail storm of improvements from AMD and the community.

Comment

I don't know if it's related but recently there were some patches posted to
                  make radeon usable for Loongson (MIPS) . Coming from some Chinese guys
                  using a lemote.com email address.

Anyhow if this is true, surely AMD can use some of that extra revenue to
                  hire a few more full-time developers to make radeon really kick ass.

No more excuses! I suggest they start with hiring Marek and Vadim.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    I don't know if it's related but recently there were some patches posted to
                    make radeon usable for Loongson (MIPS) . Coming from some Chinese guys
                    using a lemote.com email address.
                    Loongson use Radeon IGP at least for 1.5 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X