Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.28 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.28 Kernel Released

As a special Christmas present, Linus Torvalds has announced the release of the Linux 2.6.28 kernel. The 2.6.28 kernel stabilizes the EXT4 file-system, delivers the Graphics Execution Manager for GPU memory management, brings forth several new drivers, and is home to several other improvements. The Linux 2.6.28 kernel release announcement can be read at LKML.org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ext4, yey!

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Ext4, yey!
      I have the same thoughts ;-) but I hope that ext4 wont eat 50GB of my 300GB partition like ext3 ;/ so for now I have to use reiserfs although I'm sick of it.

Comment

Flawless kernel. Godspeed .

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
          I have the same thoughts ;-) but I hope that ext4 wont eat 50GB of my 300GB partition like ext3 ;/ so for now I have to use reiserfs although I'm sick of it.
          How does ext3 eat one sixth of your partition? Did you set some funky block or inode values?

Comment

Originally posted by Loris View Post
            How does ext3 eat one sixth of your partition? Did you set some funky block or inode values?
            Ask gparted when I made ext3 on 300gb partition, it said that that 50gb was already reserved. Compared to 17mb of reiserfs, my choice was pretty obvious. Well, I'm a newbie if it comes to FS's, so I fully depended on gparted.

Comment

Yeah, that lost+found directory in /?
              I think that's corrupting space. Don't blame your file system, thank it for saving your butt.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                Yeah, that lost+found directory in /?
                I think that's corrupting space. Don't blame your file system, thank it for saving your butt.
                Anything in there that shouldn't be?

Comment

Last time I've formatted a partition to EXT3, it took over 8GB of my 300 GB HDD on reserved space.

Does anyone here who actually formatted a partition with EXT4 knows how it behaves?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                    Last time I've formatted a partition to EXT3, it took over 8GB of my 300 GB HDD on reserved space.

Does anyone here who actually formatted a partition with EXT4 knows how it behaves?
                    The default options for ext3 formatting is to reserve 5% of the partition's space for usage by root, so that the admin can always log in. But 5% on today's storage devices is a fscking big space nevertheless, so it's a good practice setting the reserved space to a lower percentage of the partition space.

DO THIS ONLY ON A UNMOUNTED FILESYSTEM.
                    For example, to set an arbitrary percentage for reserved space on an existing ext3 filesystem:

# tune2fs -m ${percentage_number} /dev/$partition_device

Or, you could set an arbitrary value of reserved blocks using the option -r instead of -m.

Assuming a default of 4 Kilobytes blocks, every 256 blocks are a reserved Megabyte. Setting 10 Megabytes of reserved space would be like this:

# tune2fs -r 2560 /dev/partition_device

Or... you could read the manual of mke2fs before creating a new filesystem.
                    Last edited by Loris; 26 December 2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X