13-Way R600/RadeonSI GPU Comparison With Mesa 10.1 On Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13-Way R600/RadeonSI GPU Comparison With Mesa 10.1 On Ubuntu 14.04

Phoronix: 13-Way R600/RadeonSI GPU Comparison With Mesa 10.1 On Ubuntu 14.04

With the imminent release of Mesa 10.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS landing this updated open-source 3D graphics stack at the last minute, here are some benchmarks of this preliminary open-source GPU driver stack of Ubuntu 14.04 with Mesa 10.1 and the Linux 3.13 kernel. With Mesa 10.1 there is now also Unigine Heaven & Valley benchmarks that are now compatible with the Radeon Gallium3D drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why isn't there Radeon 4850 in the tests?

Comment

It's not too surprising the R7 260X did so poorly as it's GCN 1.1 hardware. I'd be surprised if the 7790, R9 290 and R9 290X didn't have similar issues.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
        It's not too surprising the R7 260X did so poorly as it's GCN 1.1 hardware. I'd be surprised if the 7790, R9 290 and R9 290X didn't have similar issues.
        IIRC all of the CIK hardware (7790, R9 290, Kaveri, Kabini) will be running at low clocks with the 3.13 kernel unless dpm is forced on manually. As of 3.14 rc1 dpm should be on by default for all of them and clocks will be higher.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          IIRC all of the CIK hardware (7790, R9 290, Kaveri, Kabini) will be running at low clocks with the 3.13 kernel unless dpm is forced on manually. As of 3.14 rc1 dpm should be on by default for all of them and clocks will be higher.
          Out of interest, what does CIK stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
            Out of interest, what does CIK stand for?
            *bridgman tries to remember...

I think it was C for Sea Islands (CI), I for Indus (platform name for Kaveri), K for Kerala (platform name for Kabini). Something like that.

Anyways, when we say "CIK" we mean "APUs and dGPUs which have a CI graphics core" -- Bonaire, Hawaii, Kabini and Kaveri so far...

... or the "RBxx" row in the Radeon 3D Hardware section of the RadeonFeature page:

Last edited by bridgman; 28 February 2014, 01:14 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Nope, 5 minutes like everyone else. But I squeeze every last second out of those 5 minutes
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                I think it was C for Sea Islands (CI), I for Indus (platform name for Kaveri), K for Kerala (platform name for Kabini). Something like that.
                Whose bright idea was it to follow up Southern Islands (SI) with Sea Islands? (SI, no, wait, CIK?)

Comment

Cayman is indeed behaving weirdly, in should win in the tri test for example, having ~20% more bandwidth than a 6870.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Cayman is indeed behaving weirdly, in should win in the tri test for example, having ~20% more bandwidth than a 6870.
                    Cayman is VLIW4 hardware and since quite some time benchmarks show that it's not as optimized as VLIW5 with the open source stack.

Comment

Working...
                    X