Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook's HipHop 2.0 Virtual Machine Is Very Fast

Phoronix: Facebook's HipHop 2.0 Virtual Machine Is Very Fast

Released last month by Facebook was their open-source HipHOp "HHVM" 2.0 virtual machine. Benchmarks of HHVM at Phoronix show that the code does live up to Facebook's performance claims...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Most impressive

Most impressive.
    Perhaps in a couple of years, I shouldn't be embarrased anymore for being a PHP-developer.

Comment

awesome. want to try this out and see how it functions in apache / nginx with wordpress sites

Comment

Before you can run HHVM you have to play Farmville on it and share with a *related friend*

Will it run faster if I pay to 'Promote'?

Comment

WOW

This is really a great accomplishment, and I can guess more than one will be looking into installing this on their servers.

A few things do trouble me however. It is weird that facebook doesn't even try to contribute this back to the PHP developers, surely there is much that can be merged and benefited from.

Also why develop their own bytecode interpreter / JIT compiler when they could just use LLVM for this?

I'm guessing that Facebook tries to remain in control of their stack, but duplication of effort on something that's open-source anyway is just puzzling.

Comment

I wonder what the LIST_AVAILABLE_SUITES code is doing PHP 5.5 took only 1 second more than hiphop.

It would be interesting to see a performance test of facebook hiphop vs php 5 + opcode cache.

By the way there seem to be a lot of PHP haters out there but it is running about 70% of all websites on the wild so it seems to have something good

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
              By the way there seem to be a lot of PHP haters out there but it is running about 70% of all websites on the wild so it seems to have something good
              It's good for websites, but a bit of a pain to set up locally.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                Not that I disagree with the following statement, but you do realize that by that logic Windows is also much better than the Linux-zealot haters claim, right?

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                  Not that I disagree with the following statement, but you do realize that by that logic Windows is also much better than the Linux-zealot haters claim, right?
                  Windows is a great OS and a high quality software product, there is no
                  question about it. From the aspects of usability, support, software availability,
                  hardware drivers... linux can look up to some of the standards delivered
                  by MS products (not all, ofcourse).

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                    I get your point, but theres a huge difference between the windows analogy and PHP, in PHP case it is open source and free, but maybe people has a tendency to hate things that become popular (like the case of ubuntu), also many people that criticize PHP is due to outdated experiences with older PHP versions like 3/4 without taking a look at how the language has evolved from back then.

Comment

Working...
                    X