No announcement yet.

The Linux 3.13 Kernel Is Already Super Exciting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is the mainline libvdpau git repo... That it's under his name doesn't mean it's not official.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Also, if it was supported by the other drivers and setting VDPAU_DRIVER was a non-issue, why wouldn't the documentation say so?
      Documentation (you can get a copy with 'make doc' from libvdpau source) says: "The wrapper will implement this function by dynamically loading the appropriate back-end driver file mentioned above. Long-term, the wrapper will use a VDPAU-specific X extension to determine which back-end driver to load. Currently, the wrapper library hard-codes the driver name as "nvidia", although this can be overridden using the environment variable VDPAU_DRIVER."

It's a bit outdated, since libvdpau already uses second DRI driver name to determine which driver to load. Both ati/radeon and nouveau drivers are built on top of Gallium3D which reports two (identical) names. But intel driver reports only one. That's why you don't need VDPAU_DRIVER for radeon or nouveau, but do need for intel. I've posted a patch that solves the issue, but it was never merged.

Comment

Originally posted by i-rinat View Post
        Documentation (you can get a copy with 'make doc' from libvdpau source) says: "The wrapper will implement this function by dynamically loading the appropriate back-end driver file mentioned above. Long-term, the wrapper will use a VDPAU-specific X extension to determine which back-end driver to load. Currently, the wrapper library hard-codes the driver name as "nvidia", although this can be overridden using the environment variable VDPAU_DRIVER."

It's a bit outdated, since libvdpau already uses second DRI driver name to determine which driver to load. Both ati/radeon and nouveau drivers are built on top of Gallium3D which reports two (identical) names. But intel driver reports only one. That's why you don't need VDPAU_DRIVER for radeon or nouveau, but do need for intel. I've posted a patch that solves the issue, but it was never merged.
        Hey its the first answer so far that makes sense. Thank you i-rinat, at least it explains why my systems (Intel based) act so oddly compared to other systems when it comes to vdpau. Its too bad that Intel is still sticking to to VA-API rather than joining everyone on VDPAU. But again, thank you i-rinat for making heads or tails of this
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

output of:

Code:
          sudo updatedb
          locate libvdpau_
          ?
          Output of locate libvdpau_
          Code:
          linux-13kf:/home/djdoo # locate libvdpau_
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_r300.so
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_r300.so.1
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_r300.so.1.0.0
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_r600.so
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_r600.so.1
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_r600.so.1.0.0
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_radeonsi.so
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_radeonsi.so.1.0.0
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_trace.so.1
          /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_trace.so.1.0.0
          /usr/lib64/vlc/plugins/codec/libvdpau_plugin.so
          /usr/share/doc/packages/libvdpau_trace1
          /usr/share/doc/packages/libvdpau_trace1/README

Comment

libvdpau queries the driver name via dri2 just like mesa:

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              libvdpau queries the driver name via dri2 just like mesa:
              http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~aplattn...b09e6b3dcd981d
              Yeah I saw that commit, its a shame that nothing can be done about Intel since they want to stick with VA-API *facepalm* Least it explains why my situation is so different from yours.

Doesn't explain why the Gentoo and Arch wikis still say you have to set VDPAU_DRIVER but oh well, not my problem anymore lol.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Yeah I saw that commit, its a shame that nothing can be done about Intel since they want to stick with VA-API *facepalm* Least it explains why my situation is so different from yours.

Doesn't explain why the Gentoo and Arch wikis still say you have to set VDPAU_DRIVER but oh well, not my problem anymore lol.
                It's hard to much much faith in wiki's. Considering the pace of innovation around here, it take a really dedicated team to keep updated with detailed and correct information.

Comment

Working...
                X