Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The FBI Paid OpenBSD Developers For Backdoors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    You have to specifically (and explicitly) release things into the public domain, if this is what you wish.
    Plus, in some countries you can't put something in the public domain. Only old stuff (X years after the author dies/is murdered) is in the public domain. The CC "public domain" license solves this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
      Bullshit.
      How could a government change a CEO? Show me some examples ...
      How about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law
      This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security
      And this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
      Bullshit. I don't need to add a "(c) mat69".

I created it and that makes me the copyright holder and you have no right at all. For everything you have to contact me.
      As getting thousands e-mails with the same message would suck I can grant rights.
      Whoever I grant those rights is up to me.

In fact that depends on the legislation of the country you publish your work. Here it is the way I outlined, same in Germany. So keep in mind that there are more legislations around the world ...
      Be my guest, don't add it. How can I ever contact you if I don't even know your name and no mentioning of the authorship

(c) Anonymous
      -or-
      about.txt: Matt69 /me: whaat?
      right

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
        Plus, in some countries you can't put something in the public domain. Only old stuff (X years after the author dies/is murdered) is in the public domain. The CC "public domain" license solves this problem.
        Unless someone has living relatives that are kind enough to attach all rights by X to some smart Holdings Co. or even better - Old Stuff Copyright Association (OSCA). You can wait zillion years, for them to die.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          Be my guest, don't add it. How can I ever contact you if I don't even know your name and no mentioning of the authorship
          That sucks for you, but not for him.
          Unless someone has living relatives that are kind enough to attach all rights by X to some smart Holdings Co. or even better - Old Stuff Copyright Association (OSCA). You can wait zillion years, for them to die.
          If you can kill an author, you can also kill all his relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            You got it completely backwards.

As soon as you create something, you have the copyright over it, and are the ONLY person who is allowed to distribute it. This changes if you produce it as work for hire, obviously, then your employer has the copyright instead of you.

In most countries, you don't even need to put the (c) anywhere. Copyright is automatic.

The purpose of a license is to ALLOW other people to do things with the software. By default, they are not allowed to do anything, other than the default allowances by the law.

You have to specifically (and explicitly) release things into the public domain, if this is what you wish.
            I guess I'm from the country, where, unless you put your name and mention youre the author by putting the (c) sign next to your ID, your aren't so; and unless you specify the terms of distribution, you only claim your are the author; ie author->>>(c) name->>>JohnDoe, all rights reserved<<<- proprietary, I specify rights(reserve em to me).

Comment

I guess I'm from the country, where, unless you put your name and mention youre the author by putting the (c) sign next to your ID, your aren't so; and unless you specify the terms of distribution, you only claim your are the author; ie author->>>(c) name->>>JohnDoe, all rights reserved<<<- proprietary, I specify rights(reserve em to me).

You're somewhere in the gray.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post

Some people believe the September 11, 2001 Al Qaeda attacks were perpetrated by the U.S. Government: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_conspiracy_theories
                Read the complete 9/11 Timeline:

Reading it is like completely auditing the code of OpenBSD.
                Then come back and dare tell me your understanding of 9/11 has not changed!
                You probably will never take the time to do it. Like most people. That is why most people are fools. They do not take the time to deeply investigate reality. So their minds are filled with illusions.
                Trustful people are just lazy stupid people.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Here's(are) the thing(s):
                  1) Just don't do anything stupid on the internet;
                  2) The people creating the backdoors are not making your PC part of a massive botnet (they only create holes in case of person x does y); remember that only the people who know the holes can exploit them, so public holes are always closed;
                  3) Don't upset the government by means of an internet connected PC.

Everything is crackable; the rest of planet earth already knew that ages ago...
                  In the USSR you would have been considered a model citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                    Today I read that in Norway you're always allowed to do some stuff with the copy that you "legitimately obtained". You may use the software for its original purpose, or reverse engineer it for personal study... stuff like that. Seems like a sane thing: copyright should really only cover distribution. What you do with it personally should be of no concern to the author.
                    Yes that is what I meant.

Great examples ...
                    Now we play in your thought-land.
                    SAP a multinational company wants to sell stuff in the USA. Now the FBI demands them to include hacks in their Software, otherwise they would do Law, National_security and Army. Fine SAP plays along. Now they also want to enter the chinese market, again demands arise, otherwise Law, National_security and Army would happen. Same for UK, ...

That totally makes sense.

(c) Anonymous
                    -or-
                    about.txt: Matt69 /me: whaat?
                    right
                    That is your problem.
                    It is your duty to make sure that you can use stuff. You can't just go around and take things where no (c) is put.

You can't just go around and search google for images of "nice cat" and use those on your website, you have to make sure that you are allowed to.
                    Many had to learn this the hard -- i.e. costly -- way.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X