Hi Guys! New member here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys! New member here!

I am just another average linux user using an average distro named arch linux with an average DE called KDEmod.

I have a very old system, a Pentium 4 Prescott 2.66GHz Without HT Technology and 256MB DDR1 400MHz RAM housed on an intel D915GLVG motherboard. I was tricked into buying this back in 2005 Q3 at a time when I was anything but a computer literate, as someone poisoned me about AMD processors claiming that they were very hot and low performing compared to P4s, although Athlon XP according to my history books could beat the crap out of Pentium 4 at a lower price. Since turning more aware of computing about two years back and starting to use linux on May 2007, I learnt a lot. I mean a LOT.

I had been going through articles on phoronix for a long time and found it to be THE best linux oriented hardware website. I checked out this forum and decided to join in and I hope to learn a lot more.

Any good advice for this new member ?
    Last edited by MetalheadGautham; 25 July 2008, 10:41 AM.

Welcome, and as far as

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
    Any good advice for this new member ?
    -Don't eat yellow snow.
    -Don't feed the trolls.
    -After an argument with your wife, admit your wrong and tell her your sorry (actually being wrong is irrelevant)
    -Never pet a burning dog
    -When your ISP says "Your modem looks fine here, we can see it and it's working fine." Don't believe them.
    -Drink lots of water after a night of drinking before you head to bed

Comment

- Learn to enjoy Intel vs. AMD vs. nVidia wars instead of trying to bring arguments, you won't regret it
      - Never let those little GNOMEs make you wanting to try that other DE

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        - Learn to enjoy Intel vs. AMD vs. nVidia wars instead of trying to bring arguments, you won't regret it
        I have been enjoying software wars for so long, you will see me as a vet when I enter one of these hardware wars... on a second thought, with my rig I am hardly the kind of guy who can fight for technologies 10 generations above what I have
        I started off as an itsy bitsy Gnome user on Ubuntu 7.04 and I have had my share of gnome long enough. I must say that atleast on ubuntu, the gap between gnome 2.22 and gnome 2.18 is amazing. what was once really stable and fast (2.18) became a bloated piece of code which had nothing new in particular. I hear that gnome is better on other distros, but after learning to use KDE, I never looked back again at gnome I am trying to learn to use Xfce, but it ends there.

Infact, I am in the process of almost finishing my OWN DE to compete with gnome, xfce, lxde and the lot - IceDE which is based on easy to use commandline apps like nano and irssi along with basic X apps like dfm and emelfm contained in IceWM window manager.

Comment

-Gnomes belong in a old ladies garden, not on a desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            -Gnomes belong in a old ladies garden, not on a desktop.
            Isn't this stuff analogous to the stuff you lot suggested to learn to love and not add fuel to the fire with?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              Isn't this stuff analogous to the stuff you lot suggested to learn to love and not add fuel to the fire with?

Shhhhh, don't tell.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                shhhhh, don't tell.
                roflmao!

Comment

Working...
                X