Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Is No Longer Actively Working On Ubuntu For Android

Phoronix: Canonical Is No Longer Actively Working On Ubuntu For Android

With Ubuntu devoting a majority of their resources to pushing Ubuntu on phones/tablets directly with Unity 8 and their next-generation stack, Ubuntu For Android has taken a back-seat and is being put into cold storage -- at least until they have any hardware launch partners...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember this, it was a pretty cool idea.
    But just like (more than) half of Canonical's project, it got killed. In fact, I think this never shipped?

Comment

Yeah, and where's the source code for "Ubuntu for Android"? Does it even exist? I have a nexus android phone, how do I go about installing "Ubuntu for Android" on it?

If it turned out the correct answer were "they have not published any code", I wouldn't be terribly surprised. Still makes me wonder why a linux distribution would set up a bullsh*t PR webpage and not release any code with it.

Comment

Another one bites the dust!

With the way MS is talking recently it would not be a surprise if they shut down even some of the other major components like unity,mir. They might even announce one day that they focus only on openstack and server platforms ditching all the money bleeding areas/accessories like ubuntu desktop too. I would be sad on that day but would not be surprised.

Comment

Bury it next to the Ubuntu TV.

Comment

Sounds like it has been mothballed pending partners rather than cancelled completely.

After describing the development of Ubuntu for Android as "complete," it advised it requires a launch partner "in order to make the necessary modifications on the Android side," though it is currently not in discussions with potential partners.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles...#ixzz30U3omt2Z

Comment

Originally posted by hadrons123 View Post
              With the way MS is talking recently it would not be a surprise if they shut down even some of the other major components like unity,mir. They might even announce one day that they focus only on openstack and server platforms ditching all the money bleeding areas/accessories like ubuntu desktop too. I would be sad on that day but would not be surprised.
              Ubuntu server needs Ubuntu desktop to survive. Because of the easiness of Ubuntu desktop many developer develop on it and choose the server for deployment. They might stop to get into mobile business though.

Comment

Not surprising. Why would they release Ubuntu for Android when they are planning to release their own OS and phones that support the feature? It makes no sense for them to compete against themselves.

Comment

I'm wonder how long Canonical will stay alive...
                  In fact it is quite impressive that unprofitable company has been so many years on the market. To bad that from couple years they have not created significant OpenSource/Linux project or even little improvement... Now they creating marketing nonsense only (Ubuntu Phone?!, Ubuntu TV?!)...

Other strange fact... It is soooo small, unprofitable company, but everyone on OpenSource/Linux community is talking about every silly project that they (unsuccessfully) trying to do...

Comment

It's probably not accurate to say that Canonical hasn't had a significant impact on the Linux community. I'm not sure that things would be much improved over the barbaric state desktop Linux was in ~7 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X