Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    So you want to benefit the end user without adding restrictions. Nice and welcome. But the restrictions your code will have when someone uses it for its proprietary app don't matter? Are they for the genearl benefit? Like that you produce much more restrictions than you intented to do when you offered the code without any at all.
    I really don't care, I have an idea, if you can improve it, go ahead. I'm not going to restrict my knowledge to people with a like philosophy. End result is, again, the end user benefits.

Comment

I I see a person for example struggling with lifting a box, I'm not going to say "He can afford to pay someone to help him" over a person that can't. I am also not going to say "Well he is not part of my religion so I won't help him". If a person or entity needs help and I am able to give it I will. Trying to change everyone to the same POV so that they are all in agreement will never work and placing such restrictions limits the amount of people/entities that you can help and ultimately segregates and reduces the amount of benefits that a contribution can make.

Comment

Originally posted by qwerty View Post

In example: Michael, do you have an Apple branded hardware to make your benchmarks on OsX?
        I still don't see any replay about this.
        Ok i found it, on page 2: 2 (old) macmini.
        Last edited by qwerty; 29 August 2009, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I really don't care, I have an idea, if you can improve it, go ahead. I'm not going to restrict my knowledge to people with a like philosophy. End result is, again, the end user benefits.
          You confuse one thing. Freedom has limits. If someone has not limits then he is not free, he is loose. I don't have the right to do whatever I want. My freedom ends when I hurt someone else's freedom. That's waht GPL tries to do. It puts the neccessary restrictions to protect the freedom in the software world. How much it achieves that goal or not is a different debate though. The matter is that for licenses witout any restriction on them is much easier to produce loose products than free. But again if someone prefers them I'm ok. But it's a differnet matter to prefer BSD licenses ove GPL and another one to prefer Apple's restricitons over GPL.

I see a person for example struggling with lifting a box, I'm not going to say "He can afford to pay someone to help him" over a person that can't. I am also not going to say "Well he is not part of my religion so I won't help him". If a person or entity needs help and I am able to give it I will.
          If I have a copy of MS office and I want to give it to a friend who needs it but can't afford the money to buy it, I'm considered a criminal. Since when is a crime to help? Is that fair? By judging of your post I understand you agree with me as well. But yet you keep defend products that are totally different than your current statement. Isn't that a bit contradictory?

Comment

Originally posted by qwerty View Post
            I still don't see any replay about this.
            At the beginning of the article he mentions that he's using two Mac minis- an older Intel graphics one, and a newer Nvidia graphics one.

Comment

Come on... That was some terrible marketing crap.

OS10.5 looses - look at that that is amazing...
              OS10.6 looses - yeah but they'll fix that...

That sudokut benchmark was especially damning. Thats a CRAP showing from 10.6. And no they arent gonna fix it, they'll release 10.7 and make you pay some more dollars.

a quote from java2d microbenchmark
              Like some of our other graphics tests though, the vector graphics rendering performance for the Java 2D pipeline had actually regressed under Snow Leopard. Again, hopefully this is something that will be worked out in the very near term.
              but the OS10.6 tiny win in lame gets
              LAME was running a few seconds faster, which will become beneficial and appreciated if you do a lot of audio encoding work.
              Wait so they download the latest version of lame and make you pay for it. Now thats just VALUE for money!

Wait when OS10.6 draws in php compilation
              While Apache built slightly faster on Mac OS X 10.6, PHP built slightly slower, but the difference was quite small for both systems.
              Let's mention the previous benchmark that was really good...

I hope this proved my point. Change that title to MAC OSX Brings Improvements but also regressions and I'll be happy.

They cant even package working drivers! Those openGL benchmarks are damnright hilarious.

Although now since your in Steve jobs good books maybe they'll let you have a free mac pro.

Comment

My freedom ends when I hurt someone else's freedom.
                That is a really nice way of looking at freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
                  That is a really nice way of looking at freedom.
                  Unfortunately isn't very popular

Comment

You confuse one thing. Freedom has limits. If someone has not limits then he is not free, he is loose. I don't have the right to do whatever I want. My freedom ends when I hurt someone else's freedom. That's waht GPL tries to do. It puts the neccessary restrictions to protect the freedom in the software world. How much it achieves that goal or not is a different debate though. The matter is that for licenses witout any restriction on them is much easier to produce loose products than free. But again if someone prefers them I'm ok. But it's a differnet matter to prefer BSD licenses ove GPL and another one to prefer Apple's restricitons over GPL.
                    Sorry freedom by definition does not have limits. If I put out code into public domain my original code is still there untouched. If someone grabs that code and modifies it, improves, degrades it still does not effect my original code. That is my contribution and nothing can change that. No entity can hurt my code, ever. Implying anything else is like saying that the steel industry is responsible for gun shootings because they provided the steel. Now a criminal may use that gun to kill some undeserving Soul, but at the same time that same steel may save someone else's life in the same capacity.

If I have a copy of MS office and I want to give it to a friend who needs it but can't afford the money to buy it, I'm considered a criminal. Since when is a crime to help? Is that fair? By judging of your post I understand you agree with me as well. But yet you keep defend products that are totally different than your current statement. Isn't that a bit contradictory?
                    If you have a copy of MS office and give it to someone your not a criminal. You are however if you retain use of it after transfer on your own systems.

Responding to the outcry form the enthusiast community, Microsoft has revised …

If your buddy cannot afford gas for his car, do you go and fill up his tank as well just because you paid for the gas in yours and not pay the gas station for his?

I'm not contradicting myself at all, all licenses on software are pure BS. Saying one is better then another is a POV and the only way to avoid it is public domain. Unfortunately the only thing I can do as a individual is make sure that my free and clear innovations are public domain to avoid the bullshit that licenses bring.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
                      Come on... That was some terrible marketing crap.

Although now since your in Steve jobs good books maybe they'll let you have a free mac pro.
                      Now I think so too.

From the conclusion of this article:

Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" is a must buy.

A must buy... USABLE ONLY WITH APPLE HARDWARE, that is EXACTLY the same of a normal Intel HW pc.

... A must buy...

Comment

Working...
                      X