Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.5.13 Has Raw Input, Transparent Window Areas

Phoronix: Wine 1.5.13 Has Raw Input, Transparent Window Areas

Wine 1.5.13 was released on Friday afternoon with a few prominent new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally got around to checking the wiki on the DIB engine. I get that its a graphics / memory issue. Though I dont really understand why its useful.

Besides that, can someone explain to me why Raw Input is necessary? What if the wine-app isnt full screen? Can wine and X seemlessly handle passing back and forth the raw data?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Raw Input is usefull eg. for a World of Tanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Finally got around to checking the wiki on the DIB engine. I get that its a graphics / memory issue. Though I dont really understand why its useful.

Besides that, can someone explain to me why Raw Input is necessary? What if the wine-app isnt full screen? Can wine and X seemlessly handle passing back and forth the raw data?
        raw input fix ARMA2 to a playable status.

Comment

So instead of going from:

hardware keyboard / mouse -> Kernel events -> Xorg -> Wine

now its

hardware keyboard / mouse -> kernel events -> wine?

Wouldnt that require root access for wine? This could entirely be a misunderstanding of what "Raw input" is. In my mind when I hear "raw input" / "raw data" i'm thinking of the data that gets sent over the wire / wirelessly to the OS, the kernel's driver figures out what just happened and then broadcasts it to whoever cares (window manager, console, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            So instead of going from:

hardware keyboard / mouse -> Kernel events -> Xorg -> Wine

now its

hardware keyboard / mouse -> kernel events -> wine?

Wouldnt that require root access for wine? This could entirely be a misunderstanding of what "Raw input" is. In my mind when I hear "raw input" / "raw data" i'm thinking of the data that gets sent over the wire / wirelessly to the OS, the kernel's driver figures out what just happened and then broadcasts it to whoever cares (window manager, console, etc)
            no raw input does not mean what you think.

raw input for games like arma2 means wine now supports the same "Xbox" and "Windows" input .dlls and the xorg raw input implementation fixes that bug: "Bug 6971

Mouse "escapes" windows or is confined to an area in full screen programs"

http://wiki.winehq.org/Bug6971

so its just a correct implementation of the windows way of handling mouse and keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post

raw input for games like arma2 means wine now supports the same "Xbox" and "Windows" input .dlls and the xorg raw input implementation fixes that bug: "Bug 6971

so its just a correct implementation of the windows way of handling mouse and keyboard.
              Okay so its Microsoft giving a very generic name to something that should be named MS specific -_- Thanks for the clarification, necro.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post

Does this also mean that games run through wine like Rage, Borderlands etc. will support xbox 360 controllers without resorting to workarounds?

Comment

Did wine get a new dev or big donation recently? There seems to be a lot of major improvements the past month. I still haven't tried it much in several years but I wonder how close it is from being a worthy replacement for windows executables.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Did wine get a new dev or big donation recently? There seems to be a lot of major improvements the past month. I still haven't tried it much in several years but I wonder how close it is from being a worthy replacement for windows executables.
                    i was in contact with the crossover company and they told me that they only fix the rawinput3 bug only because of Guild Wars 2

I think its ok to make some conversation public:

"The last update on this bug in our system was on April 12th, when it was moved to the Crossover 12 milestone (i.e. "to be fixed for Crossover 12"). Our product manager put it there on the hopes that this might actually be fixed by Crossover 12, but as of yet it is not certain since our developers are still focused on the next "point release" of Crossover 11.

Regards,
                    Jack"

After some very critical and direct offensive questions:

"We've got one of our top Games developers working on raw input right now, and he has been for a little while. It's really a very challenging bug to fix properly without breaking many other parts of wine.

If his work is still not something that can be safely added to the wine tree (which is a possibility), we'll be releasing an unsupported build (mainly geared towards Guild Wars 2, which needs RawInput) with the patch applied. When that happens we'll certainly post about it in the Guild Wars 2 forums page on our website:

Cheers,
                    Jack"

after even more critical questions:

"Well, yes, raw input's affect on games has been known for a while. I think the turning point for us is that among our user base, the demand for Guild Wars 2 is absolutely enormous, whereas the demand for ARMA2 has always been quite small. I don't doubt that ArmA 2 is quite popular in its own right, but Guild Wars 2 is the first game that brought together the "perfect storm" of very high demand among our users and the attention of the marketing and sales departments.

Thank you, as always, for your support! I'm sorry that we have been ignoring this issue for so long, I know how frustrating that must be.

Regards,
                    Jack"

Comment

Working...
                    X