Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AGP PCI-E Issues (Rialto chip) No Interupt (IRQ) assigned, Poor performance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a few posters indicated that they needed to set the AGP aperture to the same size as the amount of RAM on the card, ie 256M for a 256M card but 512MB for your card. Might be worth a try.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      ... set the AGP aperture to the same size as the amount of RAM on the card...
      THANKS! that worked but yeah, 8.43.2 is slow as hell, although my average fps increased from 7 to 12fps in nexuiz :P still unplayable. all 3D is choppy, Compiz is also unusable.

Im unable to compile 8.34.8 or 8.35.5 for my kernel (2.6.22), patches dont go back that far, any ideas?

This AGP-PCIe bridge problem is a nightmare... renders (no pun intended) linux useless for me, being a gamer. Get your act together ATI before i sell up for an inferior card!

Comment

Yep I can confirm I have the issue too. I was scratching my head for the longest time wondering why at times my framerate would go from well over 100 in some games all the way down to 10 for no reason. Read this post, investigated, and it turns out I have the interrupt issue as well.

Just seems to be one thing after another for us users with AGP cards with the Rialto chip. If they fix this, I can actually say my experience with fglrx would be pretty much flawless. Videos play fine for me, dvds, and 3d games to a certain degree.

I'd like to note that I'm using a x1600XT on top of a VIA chipset. Works fine besides the interrupt issue. I think besides the mobile and intergrated users, we're probably the third most frustrated group. So it goes:

1. Intergrated Users
        2. Mobile Users
        3. AGP Rialto chip users
        4. People that just seem to have bad luck
        Last edited by Malikith; 03 December 2007, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
          4. People that just seem to have bad luck
          There's no such thing as bad luck... only bad drivers.

Comment

[QUOTE=jlambrecht;19790]I've just copied the below into a new xorg.conf file and behold! the error with regards to AGP are gone.
            [quote]
            Code:
            Section "Device"
                    Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
                    Driver      "fglrx"
                    Option      "AccelMethod" "xaa"
                    Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
                    Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
                    Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
                    [COLOR="Yellow"]Option      "ForceGenericCPU" "off"[/COLOR]
                    Option      "Centermode" "on"
                    Option      "PseudoColorVisuals" "off"
                    [COLOR="Lime"]Option      "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"[/COLOR]
                    Option      "no_accel" "no"
                    Option      "no_dri" "no"
                    Option      "ForceMonitors" "notv"
                    Option      "ForceGenericCPU"   "no"
            EndSection
            Anybody can try/verify this? (it's from the old thread) I don't have the X1950Pro installed at the moment is all.
            The most interesting result would be for the yellow and mostly the green line. Sounds promising? Maybe. Who knows Let us know quickly!

Comment

IRQ handling

Also check my post in

It is a bit misleading as the error regarding GART... implementation still stands but there is fallback to kernel-AGP support which is not very bad. THough i'm not sure of performance impact.

Further, it is not ultimately clear if fglrx is itself missing GART-support or the gart in kernel-source needs updating.

Originally posted by oliver View Post
              Hi, I'm starting this new thread as the old one was getting to off-topic (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6112)

The problem, AGP Cards, with PCI-E chips on them, and thus using the realto bridge chip, aren't getting Interupts assigned resulting in utterly poor performance.

The DMESG snipped from loading/activating the driver:

Code:
              fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
              [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1898 MBytes.
              [fglrx] ASYNCIO init succeed!
              [fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
              [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.43.2 [Nov  9 2007] on minor 0
              ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
              [COLOR="Red"][fglrx] IRQ_MGR is disabled untill GART_CACHABLE memory will be implemented[/COLOR]
              [fglrx] Internal AGP support requested, but kernel AGP support active.
              [fglrx] Have to use kernel AGP support to avoid conflicts.
              [fglrx] AGP detected, AgpState   = 0x1f000a1b (hardware caps of chipset)
              agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
              agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
              agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
              [fglrx] AGP enabled,  AgpCommand = 0x1f000312 (selected caps)
              The relevant part from the Xorg.log:
              Code:
              (II) fglrx(0): [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
              (II) fglrx(0): [drm] created "fglrx" driver at busid "PCI:1:0:0"
              (II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 8192 byte SAREA at 0x2000
              (II) fglrx(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0x2000 to 0xb7f9e000
              (II) fglrx(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0x3000
              (II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
              (II) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit done
              (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Version Information:
              (II) fglrx(0):     Name: fglrx
              (II) fglrx(0):     Version: 8.43.2
              (II) fglrx(0):     Date: Nov  9 2007
              (II) fglrx(0):     Desc: ATI FireGL DRM kernel module
              (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version matches driver.
              (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Build Time Information:
              (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel UTS_RELEASE:        2.6.23-gentoo-r1
              (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel MODVERSIONS:        no
              (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel __SMP__:            yes
              (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel PAGE_SIZE:          0x1000
              (II) fglrx(0): [drm] register handle = 0x00004000
              [COLOR="Red"](EE) fglrx(0): Failed to enable interrupts.[/COLOR]
              (II) fglrx(0): [pci] find AGP GART
              (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f000a1b bridge: 0x1106/0x0282
              (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v1/2 disable mask 0x00000000
              (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v3 disable mask   0x00000000
              (II) fglrx(0): [agp] enabling AGP with mode=0x1f000b1a
              (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Remapping MC AGP space (new MCAGPBase = 0xc0000000)
              (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP protocol is enabled for graphics board. (cmd=0x1f000312)
              (II) fglrx(0): [agp] graphics chipset has AGP v3.0 (native mode)
              (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
              (II) fglrx(0): FBADPhys: 0xe0100000 FBMappedSize: 0x01000400
              (II) fglrx(0): FBMM initialized for area (0,0)-(1280,3277)
              (II) fglrx(0): FBMM auto alloc for area (0,0)-(1280,1024) (front color buffer - assumption)
              (II) fglrx(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1280 x 2253
              (==) fglrx(0): Backing store disabled
              This has been going on since .. all the 'new' 8.X driver series, the only other driver that was usable before that was 8.34.5.

Since i also have an 9500Pro AGP, i can luckly use that one, which works great. So it's definably driver related. The card also works fine in Windos. (Yes i actually installed ONLY to see if the card would work properly there. I'm that desperate).

So please, Micheal, ATi-devs .. somebody, acknowledge this bug. At least then we don't have to test these drivers constantly, but can simply see in the known bugs section there's still an issue here. Also If none of the beta testers have AGP PCI-e cards, i'm still happy to sign up as an BETA tester.

bug #914 on the bugzilla (http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=914) also is about this issue.

Comment

Where does the 'failed ... interupts' originate from ?

DRM ?
                fglrx ?
                kernel ? (AGPGART...)

On my system (NForce2) there is not an issue like this one and the system falls back to kernel-AGP as mentioned below.

Hi, I'm starting this new thread as the old one was getting to off-topic (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6112)

The problem, AGP Cards, with PCI-E chips on them, and thus using the realto bridge chip, aren't getting Interupts assigned resulting in utterly poor performance.

The DMESG snipped from loading/activating the driver:

Code:
                fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
                [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 1898 MBytes.
                [fglrx] ASYNCIO init succeed!
                [fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
                [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.43.2 [Nov  9 2007] on minor 0
                ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
                [COLOR="Red"][fglrx] IRQ_MGR is disabled untill GART_CACHABLE memory will be implemented[/COLOR]
                [fglrx] Internal AGP support requested, but kernel AGP support active.
                [fglrx] Have to use kernel AGP support to avoid conflicts.
                [fglrx] AGP detected, AgpState   = 0x1f000a1b (hardware caps of chipset)
                agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
                agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
                agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
                [fglrx] AGP enabled,  AgpCommand = 0x1f000312 (selected caps)
                The relevant part from the Xorg.log:
                Code:
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] created "fglrx" driver at busid "PCI:1:0:0"
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 8192 byte SAREA at 0x2000
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0x2000 to 0xb7f9e000
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0x3000
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
                (II) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit done
                (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Version Information:
                (II) fglrx(0):     Name: fglrx
                (II) fglrx(0):     Version: 8.43.2
                (II) fglrx(0):     Date: Nov  9 2007
                (II) fglrx(0):     Desc: ATI FireGL DRM kernel module
                (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version matches driver.
                (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Build Time Information:
                (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel UTS_RELEASE:        2.6.23-gentoo-r1
                (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel MODVERSIONS:        no
                (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel __SMP__:            yes
                (II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel PAGE_SIZE:          0x1000
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] register handle = 0x00004000
                [COLOR="Red"](EE) fglrx(0): Failed to enable interrupts.[/COLOR]
                (II) fglrx(0): [pci] find AGP GART
                (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f000a1b bridge: 0x1106/0x0282
                (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v1/2 disable mask 0x00000000
                (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v3 disable mask   0x00000000
                (II) fglrx(0): [agp] enabling AGP with mode=0x1f000b1a
                (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Remapping MC AGP space (new MCAGPBase = 0xc0000000)
                (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP protocol is enabled for graphics board. (cmd=0x1f000312)
                (II) fglrx(0): [agp] graphics chipset has AGP v3.0 (native mode)
                (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
                (II) fglrx(0): FBADPhys: 0xe0100000 FBMappedSize: 0x01000400
                (II) fglrx(0): FBMM initialized for area (0,0)-(1280,3277)
                (II) fglrx(0): FBMM auto alloc for area (0,0)-(1280,1024) (front color buffer - assumption)
                (II) fglrx(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1280 x 2253
                (==) fglrx(0): Backing store disabled
                This has been going on since .. all the 'new' 8.X driver series, the only other driver that was usable before that was 8.34.5.

Since i also have an 9500Pro AGP, i can luckly use that one, which works great. So it's definably driver related. The card also works fine in Windos. (Yes i actually installed ONLY to see if the card would work properly there. I'm that desperate).

So please, Micheal, ATi-devs .. somebody, acknowledge this bug. At least then we don't have to test these drivers constantly, but can simply see in the known bugs section there's still an issue here. Also If none of the beta testers have AGP PCI-e cards, i'm still happy to sign up as an BETA tester.

bug #914 on the bugzilla (http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=914) also is about this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jlambrecht View Post
                  Where does the 'failed ... interupts' originate from ?

DRM ?
                  fglrx ?
                  kernel ? (AGPGART...)

On my system (NForce2) there is not an issue like this one and the system falls back to kernel-AGP as mentioned below.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...?t=6112&page=4
                  The errors start when you startx, you can load the fgrlx driver manually at the console, and no error yet, only when you actually startX, so i'm guessing DRM

Comment

Errors on interrupts

The errors start when you startx, you can load the fgrlx driver manually at the console, and no error yet, only when you actually startX, so i'm guessing DRM
                    This does not mean much.

Console with nothing graphical loaded is plain linux. Once you type startx the x-server is started, modules and drivers are loaded, this is where the error comes in.

If i remember well there was once a somewhat similar issue with in the days of Matrox G200. This had to do with module loading (dbe,glx,drm,dri...)

Did anyone verify what happened with debugging turned on to the debug level (not info or warn)

I also get this error but this is most likely due to an application
                    [fglrx:firegl_lock] *ERROR* Process 6758 is using illegal context 0x00000003

Comment

Originally posted by jlambrecht View Post
                      This does not mean much.

Console with nothing graphical loaded is plain linux. Once you type startx the x-server is started, modules and drivers are loaded, this is where the error comes in.

If i remember well there was once a somewhat similar issue with in the days of Matrox G200. This had to do with module loading (dbe,glx,drm,dri...)

Did anyone verify what happened with debugging turned on to the debug level (not info or warn)

I also get this error but this is most likely due to an application
                      [fglrx:firegl_lock] *ERROR* Process 6758 is using illegal context 0x00000003
                      you can load the fgrlx driver manually at the console,
                      that pretty much means you do a modprobe fgrlx, at which point the driver gets loaded.

So you can boot kernel with agp enabled just fine, load the driver from the console normally (initialization etc) and only when the X server inits glx/drm/dri etc it seems the error pops, unless X re-inits the driver again after the driver initted itself when loading.

Comment

Working...
                      X